Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - FORD 302 vice FORD 302 Hipo
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 09:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The EFI 302/5.0 in the '87-'92 Crown Victoria and '86-'88 T-bird had heads and camshaft designed for fuel economy and maximum torque at low rpm, while the 5.0 HO engines found in Mustangs and later T-birds had heads and cam designed to make more horsepower, but making torque peak at higher rpm.

My '88 T-bird, with single main catalyst but dual mufflers, was rated 155hp at ~3200rpm, and 275lb-ft at 2000rpm. Single-muffler versions were 150hp. The '86 Mustang HO engine had the same heads, but a bigger cam & a true dual exhaust system, and had 200hp at a good bit higher rpm. I don't know the torque rating, but I imagine it went up considerably with the twice-pipes. '87-up Mustang HO's got basically the same cam as the '86, but with new heads that bumped hp up to 225, with 300lb-ft at ~3200rpm. Ratings are all "net", as installed in the vehicle.

Freeing up the exhaust on mine (gutting the catalysts after the bricks broke into chunks) made a big difference in torque and power, allowing the engine to make power for another 500rpm before running out of breath.

Most HO motors got forged pistons, while LO units got cast. I think it was the '93 HO's that also got cast pistons for some reason.