ford 327 build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ford 327 build

A GREAT BIG HELLO TO EVERYBODY!!! im getting ready for my first build i have questions about rod ratio 1.75 or 1.9(its only about $150 dif in price for the blocks) and was wondering about throttle respose below 3000 rpm with the 1.9 r/s. and im looking into doing a twin turbo setup also....help and info would be wonderful

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

327 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejacks
A GREAT BIG HELLO TO EVERYBODY!!! im getting ready for my first build i have questions about rod ratio 1.75 or 1.9(its only about $150 dif in price for the blocks) and was wondering about throttle respose below 3000 rpm with the 1.9 r/s. and im looking into doing a twin turbo setup also....help and info would be wonderful
Don't have an opinion on this but think it will be a good thread to follow. Never built a 3.25 stroke Ford yet but I might.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If I had a choice I suppose I'd rather use the taller deck 351 block as a base, than a 289/302 (unless it was the new Boss) but then I wouldn't be willing to throw away ANY displacement- especially if it was only to get a higher rod/stroke ratio.

Exactly what is it you have in mind?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:03 PM

I have a friend who has a turbo kit building company and he has told me many times that your stock 289/302 blocks are good for 500 respectable hp. so before you go throwing loads of money into this project do some investigating.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:55 AM

While i believe "theres no replacement for displament" i also believe every animal has a natural habitat and even cubic inches must give way to performance. the plan(so far) is to use mostly off the shelf parts(thanks mostly to all the stroker setups) and build a good performing 327 that has longevity and i can bore out and stroke up later. i would only be interested in the boss block if i could get the spacers done for a decent price(2.75-2.25) and use the material i would like to use. this isnt a budget build, however, i would like cost 'effectiveness'. would like info on manufacturers that make and produce in the USA(not just finish here).
Old 09-15-2010, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
i can bore out and stroke up later
Why not just start with a decent amount of displacement? If deck height doesn't matter there's no reason to not run AT LEAST 351 cubes.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
If I had a choice I suppose I'd rather use the taller deck 351 block as a base, than a 289/302 (unless it was the new Boss) but then I wouldn't be willing to throw away ANY displacement- especially if it was only to get a higher rod/stroke ratio.

Exactly what is it you have in mind?
that boss block is niceeeeeeeeee
Old 09-15-2010, 03:06 PM

Well sheeeeet....why not do a 429....oops 460...no wait.....514! im looking to do a small block build. ive done research. the questions i have are more toward refinement. so does anybody have any experience with a 1.9 r/s and a 1.75 r/s in the same size motor?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Well sheeeeet....why not do a 429....oops 460...no wait.....514! im looking to do a small block build. ive done research. the questions i have are more toward refinement. so does anybody have any experience with a 1.9 r/s and a 1.75 r/s in the same size motor?
What do you hope to gain by changing the rod ratio? Take a look at the other thread regarding rod ratio, I just posted some data regarding piston speed and acceleration with different rod lengths. You're shooting yourself in the foot by chasing rod length rather than stroke, but some people like walking with a limp- I hate it.

I can send you the spread sheet I created if you want to plot the graphs. Running a taller deck the get a longer rod is simply foolish IMO, but everyone is entitled to build as they see fit.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Why run a oddball bore and stroke for a higher rod ratio with no benefit?
What were saying here is a simple fact, you can`t beat cubic inches, and since there will be no benefit from the less cubes why do it? Your money, your car, do as you like.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 PM

*************! Its Frickin Anarchy! There's Rod Ratios! Cubic Inches! Strokes! Over Bores! Small And Big Blocks! Horsepower! Torque! And Revolutions By The Minute! Its Total Anarchy Man!!! Whats Next!!!

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 09-17-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Profanity. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:13 AM
Bold As Love

Last photo:

Quote:
**************! Its Frickin Anarchy! There's Rod Ratios! Cubic Inches! Strokes! Over Bores! Small And Big Blocks! Horsepower! Torque! And Revolutions By The Minute! Its Total Anarchy Man!!! Whats Next!!!

LOL! Build any motors you want man! I like long rod motors because I think they are for many reasons superior. Every person is going to tell you cram the most stroke in there as you can because that is one of the cheapest methods of gaining power and also the most forgiving to mismatched parts or the poor state of tune caused by the mismatched parts. Most people seem to think bigger and more of anything and everything is better. Big cam with big lift and long duration and big heads with big valves and huge carbs and big manifold and the longest stroke you possibly can. A short rod motor actually reponds well to all of that though so no wonder. A long rod motor breathes differently and needs a little different statedgy on the cam and intake runner length and size to keep velocity up. Short rod motors can make a stronger intake pulse so they are not as sensitive to over sized valves and intake and heads that are too big. Sounds like I might be making a case in favor of short rod ratio eh? Those differences are small but measurable. I think my fav reason I like longer rod ratio is I believe that they are easier on parts, pistons, cylinders and bearings. I better quit, I could go on about this all night.

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 09-17-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Profanity. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:56 AM

After recieving a PM claiming i have a "know it all attitude" and "profanity" i nolonger have an interest in this site, its claims of free speech infringed, nor any of the information seemingly biased toward individual arguementative oppinions rather than fact, truth and informing the person asking the question.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:08 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
After recieving a PM claiming i have a "know it all attitude" and "profanity" i nolonger have an interest in this site, its claims of free speech infringed, nor any of the information seemingly biased toward individual arguementative oppinions rather than fact, truth and informing the person asking the question.
I don't know about the PM, but what does
Quote:
*************! Its Frickin Anarchy! There's Rod Ratios! Cubic Inches! Strokes! Over Bores! Small And Big Blocks! Horsepower! Torque! And Revolutions By The Minute! Its Total Anarchy Man!!! Whats Next!!!
have to do w/"fact, truth and informing the person asking the question"?

You broke a rule and got called on it. No biggie- get over it. Or get gone. Either way.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
68novass said something like 'after seven posts a know it all attitude isnt appreciated by anybody' and anybody who read what this originaly said and is offended by what they percieve to be "profanity" i feel concern towards you because of how i percieve your understanding. should you ever compete in the special olympics i wish you fair competition(im sure i dont qualify for the special olympics). please, no more PMs(im sure its not your job to respond unless notification is required).
Closed Thread

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.