Ford 351W Heads on 302? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

73 351w heads

hey i just bought a '73 351w complete pan to carb. $150 bucks and the engine had 60'000 ORIGINAL miles on it. well i am looking to build it to a 393 stroker and in the meen time i plan to run the heads on my 302. well the 302 is bored.030 over stock stroke and pistons. can somebody plz explain how to insure the piston is far enough in the hole that the .510 lift cam wont slap the valves on the pistons ???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 08:01 PM

One sure fire way to know the piston to valve clearance is to replace the valve springs on the head with light weight springs just for testing purposes. Install the heads on the engine with the head gasket you intend to use and torque it to specs. Bring a piston to top dead center on whichever cylinder you want to check. Install a dial indicator perpendicular to the valve stem and zero it. Then push the valve down until it touches the piston and read it on your dial indicator. The valve reliefs might not be as big as the valves on the 351w and might hit early unless you recut the relief in the top of the piston. You can buy a cutter or make one out of an old valve that will cut the relief you need for the larger valves. It installs in place of the valve and you simply use a drill to cut the new relief in top of the piston. You'll have to be careful and not cut too much. That's back yard but it will work, I have done it. Good luck
Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 PM

The compression ratio is determined by deck height, combustion chamber cc's and the thickness of the head gasket you are going to use and the cc's of the piston dome/recess or the cc's of the notches in the top of the piston head. So, it's not possible for us out here to tell you the compression ratio on your particular engine combination without learning these figures.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM

hey thanks roger, im trying to determine what i can mill these heads to. but on the other hand what do you think the power gain would be on that 302 with the 351w head swap ? ill be using a tfs stage 1 cam and there high lift valve springs ??? any ideas or advice?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 PM

and im thinking about your ptv clearance technique would this also work if i put a feeler gauge between the rocker arm and valve stem until it tightens up ?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:41 PM

Hey fellas I got a question im running a set of p heads and I have heard from a few people that regular headers can be modified to clear the plugs ? Any experience in this department ? Brands. Certain types. Long tube or short ?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.