Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Ford 351W's (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ford-351ws-141208.html)

Irelands child 06-30-2008 06:48 AM

Ford 351W's

I'm in the process of "cleaning house" and have a couple of 351W Ford blocks and a good reuesable crank in the corner of my shop. I've tried to sell them at swap meets and all I've gotten were remarks like "if it was a Chevy......". One is from a "winter beater" and is a really good block, the other - who knows??? But it does appear to be in good shape physically.

Are these chunks of iron worth anything??? Do I just cart 'em down to the scrap dealer and let 'em go for pennies??

(They seem to be like the 2-8" and the 9" punkins I have - no one seems to be interested!!!! )

Yes - I know - this is a marginal post in this forum, but I'm not really offering them for sale......yet anyhow.

Dave W

OneMoreTime 06-30-2008 09:03 AM

Dave,
I have stuff like that here that is too good to toss but then it is taking up space and I am tired of tripping on it..Dunno what to say..If the stuff were not in NY then maybe I could use it..

Sam

Irelands child 06-30-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Dave,
I have stuff like that here that is too good to toss but then it is taking up space and I am tired of tripping on it..Dunno what to say..If the stuff were not in NY then maybe I could use it..

Sam

Sam,
I'm a hoarder - I tend to keep "stuff" JIC it MIGHT get around to being used some time in the future. Unfortunately the future is getting close as we are planning on leaving NY-The State of OutrageousTaxes and Fees within the next 12-18 months and some of these "treasures" have to go one way or another. The 9" chunk can be kept as a spare for the one in the car, but if someone wants it at a reasonable price, even that can go :D .

Dave W

Blazin72 06-30-2008 09:50 AM

Stick it on Craigslist.

Irelands child 06-30-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazin72
Stick it on Craigslist.

I did - not a single inquiry on any of it. Our local craigslist doesn't do well for some reason

Arrowhead 06-30-2008 11:29 AM

Hey Dave - better watch it the mods probably have thier fingers hovering over the "KILL" button right now.

Not that your stuff is scrap, but I just took a load of mustang leftovers to scrap on Saturday. Got $.10/lb for tin scrap and $.12/lb for cast scrap like cylinder heads and exhaust manifolds, $.85/lb for radiators

I got $100 for just the tin! Walked away with $145 in my pocket. :thumbup:

Course, spent $55 of that to replace the gas in my friends truck I borrowed. :mad: Next time I'll make mutiple trips in my car

I could have tried to peddle a lot of it on Evilbay, but by the time I paid all the fees and spent the time dealing with it, I probably wouldn't be much further ahead.

Irelands child 06-30-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrowhead
Hey Dave - better watch it the mods probably have thier fingers hovering over the "KILL" button right now.

Not that your stuff is scrap, but I just took a load of mustang leftovers to scrap on Saturday. Got $.10/lb for tin scrap and $.12/lb for cast scrap like cylinder heads and exhaust manifolds, $.85/lb for radiators

I got $100 for just the tin! Walked away with $145 in my pocket. :thumbup:

Course, spent $55 of that to replace the gas in my friends truck I borrowed. :mad: Next time I'll make mutiple trips in my car

I could have tried to peddle a lot of it on Evilbay, but by the time I paid all the fees and spent the time dealing with it, I probably wouldn't be much further ahead.

There are mods - then there are mods with quick fingers.

See my PM to you

Geez, if I'd have known, you could have taken my truck - it needed ~25 gallons to fill it @$4.12/gallon at Extramart

Where did you take your scrap? The blocks may go :pain: :(

Dave W

dalesy 06-30-2008 12:09 PM

You need to hook up with the Mustang crowd. Many of them are swapping in 'W's in place of the 302's. They're Ford's answer to the Chevy 350.

ScoTFrenzel 06-30-2008 12:37 PM

I'd call some machine shops.
A good W block will bring $200 here. Complete engines $400. Heads bring $25-40 each, depending on which.

I sell the stuff to someone at scrap prices (so they won't scrap it) before I scrapped it myself.

coda618 06-30-2008 01:00 PM

Post on vintage mustang forums or mustang forums.com. You might get some takers. How about ebay? I see blocks and stuff all the time on there.
Good luck.

Irelands child 06-30-2008 01:19 PM

I hadn't considered the Mustangers now that I'm not one any more - amazing what you forget!!! :drool:

I'll try the Mustang forums - Ebay has done nothing but cost me listing $$ and no responses. On anything!!!!

Dave W

FEDDO 06-30-2008 02:06 PM

wish you were down south. I would take every thing. scrap prices or not. jim.