Ford 360 vs 460 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 05:06 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If you decide on a 460, remember this is for SUPER DUTY useage, not passenger car. It needs low end torque to move the truck and load.

Being that old, it is hard to say exactly which FE is in it. Many miles have transpired.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Ford Fan At Heart

Wiki Edits: 0

well i killed the 460 idead ( no longer available). what can i do to wake up the 360 a little bit? it has good compression and is otherwise a good motor. im running everything stock right now. it has a 2 barrel intake. anyone know of any good 4 barrel combos for this that wount brake the bank? the crb on it right now need gone over over replaced so i would like to upgrade things as i replace them. Also going to pop in a new timing chain. From what i understand stock the cam is retarded/advanced? what kind of timing set should i install. any help would be great but im running kinda low budget.

thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 08:47 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68novafan
well i killed the 460 idead ( no longer available). what can i do to wake up the 360 a little bit? it has good compression and is otherwise a good motor. im running everything stock right now. it has a 2 barrel intake. anyone know of any good 4 barrel combos for this that wount brake the bank? the crb on it right now need gone over over replaced so i would like to upgrade things as i replace them. Also going to pop in a new timing chain. From what i understand stock the cam is retarded/advanced? what kind of timing set should i install. any help would be great but im running kinda low budget.

thanks
A good 4bl manifold with a power range from idle to 5500RPM is Edelbrock 2105, it is a dual plane manifold. I would use a 600CFM carb with it. Edelbrock also has a double roller timing chain set #7808. Price em around you should be able to get all three under $650.00's.

Personally I would change the cam and lifters also.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:35 AM

Last photo:

A 360 not a good idea? Man I remember an old 74 F250 we had - T18 with 4.11's - pretty much an all stock rebuild and in my opinion it out pulled the 86 460 we replaced it with (also 4.11's, but a C6). Just going off memory, but I wouldn't be scared of a 360.

Rear gears or a 5 speed swap may do more to help it getting out of it's own way then a carb swap (thinking a good working 2 barrel is probably enough for a dump truck).
Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Ford Fan At Heart

jets

ripped into the carb today. the jets have 57f? stamped on them (assuming that means .057). im not sure if this carb is original. what size jets should i be using on this stock 360? i have tried eveything and thats all i can think of that would make it run rich. which i have decided is causing the power problem.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Ford Fan At Heart

o-yea. just identified it as a 351 cfm carb
Old 03-31-2008, 09:38 AM
diehard ford fan

a 360 is just a down graded 390 and as goes they lacked hp but were decent for torque as for a dump truck i use to drive a ford with a 370 in it and we loaded it down past its weight limit daily and from my experience id much rather have a diesel but if not then yup that 460 would suck your 360 up in da tail pipes
Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
Just the crankshaft and connecting rods if I remember right. The harmonic balancer might be different, along with the flex plate, or flywheel. It is externaly balanced if I remember right.
The crank and pistons need changed. The rods are the same and it is INTERNALLY balanced, not externally. The 410 and 428 are the only externally balnced FE engines.The flywheel and harmonic balancer can be retained.
Just a note regarding a larger engine vs. fuel mileage. A larger engine does not mean that the mileage will drop. Since the amount of work is related to the throttle position, you can have a larger motor that gets better mileage because it isn't working as hard. The amount of throttle required from a 360 to get the same amount of work as a 460 would be considerably more, thus decreasing mileage. Now this is with the same driving technique. It isn't uncommon for people to want to use that extra inches and have their foot in the throttle more to feel the power. This, of course, hurts the mileage. So a larger engine isn't neccesarily going to deliver worse mileage, there are several variables that apply.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodz428
The 410 and 428 are the only externally balnced FE engines.The flywheel and harmonic balancer can be retained.
woodz428, you know a lot about Fords so maybe you can answer my question. Why was the 410 and 428 externally balanced? Was it because the stroke was so long and there wasn't room enough inside to internally balance them?

Danny
Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Ford Fan At Heart

the 460 deal fell threw. in one of my brain spasums i had an idea. how hard would it be to put a diesel engine in my truck. i found one from a 1988 7.3l cheap. i have a new methods trans 4 speed in it right now. what would be the easyest route to take if i wanted to do this if it is even possible.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Quadrajet
Wiki Edits: 7

Interested in pay $4.50 a gallon?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_81073
Interested in pay $4.50 a gallon?

....or more plus a lot more costs in maintenance. Research the added cost for fuel, oil and air filters and a fuel-water separator 9 additional quarts of oil, a second and heavier duty battery plus the wiring, a new drive shaft, new front springs to support a 200+ pound heavier engine - and these are just the easy items. Then if you crap up a set of injectors, they're $300 EACH vs a set of V10's at $300 a set of 10. Here in Upstate NY, I've seen diesel at $4.69/gallon with gas about $1.00 to $1.25 LESS. And people ask me why I bought a Guzzler V10 instead of a less reliable 6.0 or 6.4 diesel (that and an $8800 addition to the price).

No longer a better idea

Dave W
Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
The crank and pistons need changed. The rods are the same and it is INTERNALLY balanced, not externally. The 410 and 428 are the only externally balnced FE engines.The flywheel and harmonic balancer can be retained.
Just a note regarding a larger engine vs. fuel mileage. A larger engine does not mean that the mileage will drop. Since the amount of work is related to the throttle position, you can have a larger motor that gets better mileage because it isn't working as hard. The amount of throttle required from a 360 to get the same amount of work as a 460 would be considerably more, thus decreasing mileage. Now this is with the same driving technique. It isn't uncommon for people to want to use that extra inches and have their foot in the throttle more to feel the power. This, of course, hurts the mileage. So a larger engine isn't neccesarily going to deliver worse mileage, there are several variables that apply.
the crank and rods are different for 390, pistons are the same, ford in ther wisdome used 352 crank and rods with 390 4v pistons to make 360, problem is low deck hight and comp, for 360.look for a 391 truckengine it will bolt right in and give decent life re car engines in a truck. cliff
Old 05-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

The 410 and 428 were externally balanced for simplicity I would imagine. It was easier than trying to get the weight added to the crank and fit inside the block. So they just tagged it on to the flywheel/flexplate and added a hatchet weight behind the damper on the SCJ( for the extra weight of the 427 style rods).
The comment about the 360/390 rods being different and pistons the same doesn't add up dimensionally, the book I have in the house list both the rod and piston being different. I will look in the other material in the shop. It is unusual for a manufacturer to produce 2 different irems when one will do. I was sure that the rods were the same, for manufacturing costs, and that the pistons were different. Since I don't do many 360s anymore , I am operating from my memory of 30+ years ago, so it may be fading,LOL.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
It is unusual for a manufacturer to produce 2 different irems when one will do.
Ah yes, but this is a FoMoCo

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.