Ford 4.6 3v eNGINE SWAP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 09:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 4.6 3v eNGINE SWAP

yes everyone has heard it before but I wanna talk to someone that has done a 2005 4.6 3v swap. I intend to put it in my latest project- 1951 Ford F1 truck. I picked up the entire (crashed) 2005 Mustang GT and yanked the engine, 5 speed trans, and all the electronics etc. There are quite a few companies out there making the swap harness that supposedly makes everything much easier to do but $1000 is a gang a cash for this. What can I do???

Has anyone wired up the stock harness outside the Mustang?

I am also taking a shot at throwing the entire front end under the truck too. 13" drilled and slotted rotoes, etc. The donor mustang came with a BMR K member. Since it was bent I started hacking on it and shortened it 7 1/2" to make it fit under the truck. a few more hours of fabrication and itll be in there. Only issue I see is the struts. I need to fabricate some sort of tower for those to rest in as there are no upper a arms in the late Stangs.

anyways, I thought I would check in and see if anyone has info or experience to share.

fitty

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

I havent done it with a 3v but i did with a 4v in a fox body basically easiest way is to get a wiring schematic and trim the the fat, remove what you dont need like abs and such from the harness find out which wires you need for the acc like mass air injectors tb etc..
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

FFR Parts ?

Check out how Factory Five Racing uses adaptor brackets with the mustang spindles and their tubular Upper A arms on their Cobra kits. I don't know if stock struts would fit under the truck fenders unless it was really jacked up. you might be able to find some other A arms and fab up your own adaptor brackets.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

You could use the crown vic stuff if you could find it which should be to hard to find
Old 09-12-2012, 06:15 AM

I have a 2005 Mustang GT, and its a great drivetrain. However, the electronics are fully tied into the engine, so make sure you got everything. One example: You do not have a water temperature sensor; you have a cylinder head temp sensor. The computer uses the output from this sensor to calculate the engine temp and display it on the gauge. When folks add a supercharger to this engine they usually have to add a standard temp sensor, since there is no easy way to get a comparable temp reading from the CHT sensor.

Change the spark plugs before you do the engine swap. Ford used a two-piece plug that has a metal shield on the lower part of the plug. Carbon builds up between the shield and the head, and when you pull the plug the shield breaks loose and stays in the cylinder. Lisle sells a tool specifically designed to extract the broken pieces. I was able to pull the plugs on my engine (80k miles) without breaking any by using Seafoam deep creep and a very slow, low torque removal of the plugs. Google some Mustang forums and you find several articles on how to get the plugs out without breaking them.

Another common fix is the drive by wire throttle, which can bind if the throttle body gets gummed up around the plate. The symptom is usually an uneven or too low idle. The fix is simple - just remove the throttle body (four bolts), clean it with spray cleaner and reinstall.

Bruce
Old 05-25-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittyfod View Post
yes everyone has heard it before but I wanna talk to someone that has done a 2005 4.6 3v swap. I intend to put it in my latest project- 1951 Ford F1 truck. I picked up the entire (crashed) 2005 Mustang GT and yanked the engine, 5 speed trans, and all the electronics etc. There are quite a few companies out there making the swap harness that supposedly makes everything much easier to do but $1000 is a gang a cash for this. What can I do???

Has anyone wired up the stock harness outside the Mustang?
You can go through discussions available in this forum to find details about engine swap. Or else search Google which will help you to resolve your query and offer a list of online websites.
I found some very useful engine swap articles available at www.hiperformer.com/engine_basics.

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.