Ford 4.6 knocking. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 4.6 knocking.

My older brother has a 1998 Ford F150, its got around 160,000 miles on it. 4.6 liter V8 thats been well mantained. It's developed a knock on the drivers side valve train. the noise traced with a mechanics stethiscope is deep and loud with no echo on the very front of the valve cover, the timing chain cover seems to have a echo to it, as does the rear of the valve cover, so the source is at the very front. I don't know much about OHC engines but I know how they work. Funny thing is about this is you can shut it off at any engine temp, then restart after a minute, theres no noise, after a solid minute has went by the noise starts to slowly come back, it starts as a light tap, then goes back into sounding almost like a diesel. We removed the serpentine belt to make sure we eliminated any other noise possibility. What usually wears out in these engines valvetrain wise? I know the timing chains have tensioners, and the rockers are of roller design, but I know rollers can wear out. Is the rocker or rockers shot? possible valve guide going south? Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Although I am a Ford guy I have limited Mod motor experience. I do however keep up with all things Ford and I believe that the cam chain tensioners need replacement periodicly. From the description you've given I would guess that to be the problem. Datsuns had a similar problem in the 510 days.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

the 4.6 in my 97 Bird is still very quiet after 200,000+mi

Altho it has begun to use coolant---dunno where it is going
and from the day I bought it----even Ford cannot get the check engine light to stay off.

But----this is "apples to fruitcake" comparison, and mine was never used to haul anything but people and groceries. Pretty sure the pick-up won't fall into that catagory.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Worn chain that is allowing the cams to move back and forth due to the loosness of the chain. We have seen this on a few v6 overhead cams. The last one we did was on a Nissan with the distributor in the front middle and it sounded just like the distributor was junk. Very hard loud knock.
I would take a good look at the chain. If there is any slack in the section between the two cams this is most likely the issue.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Also on those Fords if the tensioner start breaking up the pieces like to head straight into the oil pump. We have seen this a few times on exploders (explorers).

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.