Ford 460 ci carb questions HELP ME!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 06:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 460 ci carb questions HELP ME!!

Hello all fellow Hotrodders!!!

I have a 76 Ford Van/Camper with a 460 ci powerplant. Sat for 2 years and started right up. Customer drove 60 miles, and then EVERYTHING SHUT DOWN AS IF IT RAN OUT OF GAS! Not possible as tank is full. So we have a warm engine shutting down after about 60 miles. The farther my customer drives it, the more often it "stalls out" and wont start back up as if it's not getting fuel at all..ANY IDEAS HERE WILL HELP. We're gonna start by rebuilding or replacing the carburetor. Also, we are going to remove the Liquid propane carburetor, as the customer "doesn't use it" and it's making it so you cannot fit a propper air cleaner assembly to the top of the carb. HELP ME PLEASE......

Okay, I am diving in over my head with my current project. It's a 76 Ford Van/Camper conversion. The person that my customer bought it from has had a 460 ci powerplant put in. (Gotta put an Autozone plug in here...it's where the engine came from and when it runs it's smooth as melted creamy peanut butter!!!) The only problem is that they used the old Ford 2 Barrel carb and didn't switch out the upper intake. ALSO! There is a Liquid Propane carburetor attached seperately that I NEED TO DISCONNECT! Due to the fact that there are no numbers left or "plate" on the Ford/Motorcraft carburetor, I cannot match it to find a rebuild kit. Also, I do not know how I should go about detaching the LP carburetor, as I do not know if it's still attached to the main LP tank!!! YIKES RIGHT! Anyways. If anyone has any idea how I can physically identify a Motorcraft 2 BBL carburetor, without an i.d. plate, please let me know immediately. I am trying to fix this guy right, as he was refered to me by my number one return customer.

Thanks For Your Time

Tim J. Petruccio - Owner
Ramped Up Mobile - Mobile Mechanic
rampedupmobile@gmail.com
http://www.rampedupmobile.co.cc

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

What you are describing sounds like a classic case of the failing Ford ignition box. It runs for a short while until the internals get hot and then shuts off like you turned off the key, and won't restart until the box cools off. The more you drive it the shorter the interval until it shuts off again. Sound familiar??
Old 04-09-2010, 04:55 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampedUpMobile
There is a Liquid Propane carburetor attached seperately that I NEED TO DISCONNECT!
While some photos would likely help, there's a propane supply line from the tank. AT the tank, there's an ON/OFF valve that needs to be closed before servicing/disconnecting the propane carb.

Quote:
If anyone has any idea how I can physically identify a Motorcraft 2 BBL carburetor, without an i.d. plate, please let me know immediately.
Prolly a 2100/2150. Is the choke pulloff on the air horn behind the choke tower or on the passenger side behind the choke linkage? That will tell you if it's a 2100 or a 2150. Google is your friend, unless you have a photo or three...

There should be numbers stamped on the base, as well as a cfm rating, would look like, "D6PF-EA". and something like "1.08" on the bowl.

The kits vary, but a kit in the area of these carbs, is Motorcraft kit CT-499D. Cost <$20.

Last edited by cobalt327; 04-09-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

First off, on a '76, unless someone has changed it out, the engine has a point style ignition, which I believe is the last year for that system. Assuming that it still does, give it a tune up with new points, condenser, rotor and probably a coil and a distributor cap. The F250 I had 'way back then' had that problem when it needed a tuneup - and yes, it did have a 460 California smog control gagged engine (for a short while )

I would suggest that eventually the parts be accumulated for at least a late Dura Spark conversion(ignition box and distributor as well as wiring information)

You can find the parts here reasonably: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Dave W

PS - I had a brain wave and probably shouldn't have been so positive above as there were SOME Fords of this vintage with Dura Spark ignition. In two that I owned, car as well as the truck, neither had it.

Last edited by Irelands child; 04-09-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

460 ?

all my 460's from those years had 4 barrel carb's... I was working for Ford and bought a new one every year at the discount plan.. ,,, the propane conversion might have changed to the 2 barrel. on some they used the sq pattern holly's so it was eash to change the carb to something that worked better.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Holleys or (shudder) a Motorcraft/Autolite. A '74 LTD I owned had one of those gas tank drainers until it went out of warranty.

Dave W

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.