Ford 460 holley 750 Questions :) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Electronic Ignition

Ford introduced Duraspark (Duraspark I) electronic ignition as of about the 1974 model year, and were used well into the 80's IIRC.

The distributors were physically pretty much the same on 351M, 400, and 460 passenger and light truck engines of this vintage. The Ignition Modules were slightly differerent ... with varying numbers of connectors, etc, but all of them were compatible with this dist.

I can't even recall the details of why I chose to use the 1975 model (Motorcraft # DY-166B) other than it only had 2 connectors, and was identified by a GREY wiring tab where the wires attach to the module.

Ford had a "brighter idea" (TMR) in about 1977, when they went to using a cap adapter and larger diameter cap with male terminals on it. This larger diameter cap put more space between the terminals which significantly reduced cross-fire due to the hotter spark.

Here is a bit of a "parts list" of suggested goodies to do the swap:
Track down a "campaign" (TSB 80310, 80310S, 83524) distributor to fit a 1977 -82 351m / 400 pickup truck, which was specially calibrated to eliminate detonation / overheating. I'm *pretty sure* that it will have a tag# of E2PE-12127-AA, BA.
Quote:
From Alldata / Ford TSB #83-5-24:

New Initial Timing
Removed Replaced By Transmission Specification Usage
D7TE-12127-ALA E2PE-12127-BA Auto 10~ BTDC 49S
D9TE-12127-ATA E2PE-12127-AA Manual 6~ BTDC Cal.
D9TE-12127-ATA E2PE-12127-AA Auto 9~ BTDC Cal.
D7TE-12127-AMA E2PE-12127-BA Manual 6~ BTDC 49S
If it's still there, it will have a paper tag with "WIN" on the vacuum advance. I'm presuming that a reman distributor for this application would be the same calibration?

NAPA Reman # 482893

NAPA Echlin FA151 Cap adapter

FA134 Cap

FA144 Rotor

TP36 Ignition module (1975 LTD)

EC72 Module electrical connector (power)

EC127 Module electrical connector (to dist)

IC21 Ignition coil

EC238 Electrical Connector (coil)

I don't see the other electrical connector that connects directly to the distributor listed anywhere in my catalog. You may have to scavenge one from a wreck? ALL Duraspark distributors used the same connector here, I'm quite sure.

Spark Plug Wire Set:
I'm purposely omitting these, as you may have a straight or angled boot requirement ... depending on what manifolds or headers that you might want to use. NAPA Beldenmax are a very good wire, but are only a 7MM wire as an OEM replacement.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 08:34 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

460 info

I am not sure when ford retarded the camshaft. I had 75 and later 460's when I worked there, I bought a new one every year, I used to install a new double roller timing chain and gear set at straight up, no retard, the stock timing chains stretch after a few thousand miles. I seems like there were also rocker arm changes made during the production run, I don't remember which year. Ford used different pattern intake manifolds I liked to keep the square one and run a holly. My son still talks about when he was 8 years old and we were in heavy stop and go traffic and a new corvette pulled along side , driving in the parking spots and gravel to get along side at a red lite. I jumped the green lite a second with my van and the corvette couldn't keep up , then I slowed down and he had to stop at a parked car.

Last edited by timothale; 10-18-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.