Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford 5.0 vs Chevy 5.0

12K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Lonestar 
#1 ·
I've seen mentioned in a few posts different things about both Chevy 5.0 engines and Ford 5.0 engines. I know that the Ford's are 302ci, but I've always been under the impression that Chevy is a 305. Am I sadly mistaken or is this in fact true. Hopefully you guys can shed some light on this. I just doesn't seem right that two engines with the same liter displacement would be different cubes.

#2 ·
I'm a Ford guy but I believe Chevy produced in limited numbers a 302ci Camaro. I think maybe early seventies. It's a rare engine to find. They probably call the 305 a 5.0 because they round off when converting from english to metric, at least that's what I figured. Never really asked.

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: dmorris1200 ]</p>

#4 ·
The chevy 302 has the same bore and stroke as a ford 302, the 302 chevy was produced for a short amount of time and It was ended in I think late 67. I am pretty sure they sold the patent on the engine to ford. So the 302 is a 5.0 as is the 305 and 307. They use the formula ( 1/2 bore DIA squared X 3.14159 X stroke X number of cylinders. They just round the answer to the nearest whole number. For example a 350 is actually 349.847 cubic inches, so it is rounded up to 350. Hope this helps :D

#5 ·
oops, I forgot to mention, there is a formula used to convert Cubic inches to Liters. I will look in my stuff for it and if I can find it I will post it. I think they do about the same thing with it except they round up to the nearest 1/10 of a liter. This formula should answer your question as to why they can have different displacements but still be the same liter. Even though they are different displacements look at how much they very, only a couple cubic inches, there is such little difference between them that they work out to the same amount of liters when using the formula.

#7 ·
Chevy selling a patent for the 302 to Ford? Where did you get that info?

The basic dimensions of the Chevy 302 are a 283 crank in a 327 or 350 block. 3.0 inch stroke with a 4.0 inch bore. There were two different rod journal and mains journal sizes for this engine produced between 67 and 69. They have no similarities to a Ford 302 and are as much a small block Chevy as any other with all the same components interchangeable with other Chevy small blocks.

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: 4 Jaw Chuck ]</p>

#8 ·
I think I just learned something valuable. I do remember the chevy 302 motor but did not know that chev. sold it to Ford. I constantly take grief because I run a hot chev 383 in my truck. Now my answer will be that all sbfords have chevy's in them. That's rich for laughter.

#10 ·
the 302 Chevy came out in the late '67 year model as a code DZ block and was in special Camaros with the factory option code Z-28, thus, the Camaro Z-28 option was born. They kept the engine thru '69, when they developed and replaced it with the LT-1 350CI engine in the Z-28 after that year. Ford also had a 302ci engine along the same time line, it was in the specially equipted Mustangs, and was called a BOSS 302. Both of these engine were high performance, high compression engines and could kick some serious booty. Can't recall all the specs on the Ford engine, but if memory serves me the 302 Chevy came stock with a Winters casting factory aluminum intake, was solid lifters, and was rated at 290HP, which was at least 50hp shy of what it really would do. The Z-28 came with a 4 speed only option, and no a/c in the early versions, but that, too, soon faded for creature comforts and lady drivers. I remember them well, I was there when they were new. Got my butt kicked good by a '70 Boss 302, and I was driving a '68 Dodge Charger 383...it was good, but not as good as that little yellow Boss. A good friend had a '68 Z-28, it was a bad boy too. Seemed to have a torque curve like a 2 cycle Yamaha...when it came on the pipe, it was too tuff. So much for the "good ole days".....

#12 ·
whoops, hit the wrong key..lol. as i was saying, i was a teen in those years, the 302 sbc made some serious dirt track race cars, sprints and late models. the torque band was perfect for that type of racing, they kicked butt. i heard tales of 375 horse on the dyno, straight from the factory. 290 horse rating from the factory kept the insurance folks from killing you with the high rates, i wonder if they ever caught on? anything over 300 horse was considered a "risk" car, they would clobber you on rates..

#15 ·
dmorris1200: I suspect that the reason your hiding out there is NJ so that you won't have to run against my chevy in an F-1 combo. Its hard to hook but when it hooks its a hoot!!!! Out here in the PNW all the Fords are 4X4's (I have one) to get back on the road. Actually, I'm not a marque snob.

#18 ·
Ford also produced the Boss 351 and the Boss 429 along about the same time frame, late '60's and early '70's. Never saw a Boss 351 until later in the years, but went to college with a dude that had a blue/black stiped '70 Boss 429...always a race between he and another guy with an LS-6 Chevelle SS, two more ****** cars....

#19 ·
Boy -oh -boy did this subject bring up a response. We used to take a 283 crank and use a 327 block and got what we called a 301. Maybe if we'd been better at math we would have called it a 302. Thes small engines still work great and I'mm building a couple now out of swap meet parts that are cheap and plentiful. (15 pistons,13.5:1 compression for $80.)Going up to Okalhoma City in the AM for the local Nationals and hoping to pick up more parts. :cool:

#20 ·
chevy mad a 302 from 67 to 69 with the stroke of a 283 and the heads of a 327. 290 estmated hp but pushing mor like 350 and with a few mods 400+ great for a smallblock V8 i have a ford 302 and a chevy 305 both good motors but i dont know much but the boss 302 in a mustang generated lots of hp

#21 ·
302's, both of em

Both the Z-28 Camaro and the Boss 302 Mustang were created for the express purpose of qualifying these cars for road racing. The Chevy Z-28 302 was indeed a 283 crank in a 327 block. (5 liters was the limit) Solid lifters, very hot cam, optional dual 4bbls on a ram intake dealer installed. High reving, not a very good street engine, but a real screamer on the track.

Same with the Boss 302 Mustangs. Cleveland heads on a Windsor block for durability and major high end breathing capability. Again, not a good street engine but a screamer on the track. Grand Daddy of today's Cleavor highbrids.

Both needed lots of gearing (3.73's just barely acceptable, 4.11's better, 4.56's were what they really wanted), ridiculous fuel consumption, hard starting, tough to keep tuned, needed really high octane because of insane compression ratios made bearable only because of the insane duration and overlap in the cams, no vaccuum so no power brakes, NO low end torque so no power anything on the originals. Power steering or AC would have stalled them at idle and idle was about 800 RPM minimum. Not a street engine, really.

Just about perfect in my opinion.

And Chevy did not sell any tooling or engineering to Ford. Both 302's were scratch built using existing parts from the respective factories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.