Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford 5.0 vs Chevy 5.0
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2002, 06:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

the 302 Chevy came out in the late '67 year model as a code DZ block and was in special Camaros with the factory option code Z-28, thus, the Camaro Z-28 option was born. They kept the engine thru '69, when they developed and replaced it with the LT-1 350CI engine in the Z-28 after that year. Ford also had a 302ci engine along the same time line, it was in the specially equipted Mustangs, and was called a BOSS 302. Both of these engine were high performance, high compression engines and could kick some serious booty. Can't recall all the specs on the Ford engine, but if memory serves me the 302 Chevy came stock with a Winters casting factory aluminum intake, was solid lifters, and was rated at 290HP, which was at least 50hp shy of what it really would do. The Z-28 came with a 4 speed only option, and no a/c in the early versions, but that, too, soon faded for creature comforts and lady drivers. I remember them well, I was there when they were new. Got my butt kicked good by a '70 Boss 302, and I was driving a '68 Dodge Charger 383...it was good, but not as good as that little yellow Boss. A good friend had a '68 Z-28, it was a bad boy too. Seemed to have a torque curve like a 2 cycle Yamaha...when it came on the pipe, it was too tuff. So much for the "good ole days".....