Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford 5-speed recomendations

830 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  xntrik 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 1965 Mercury Comet. I presently have a 302 with a 4 speed transmission. I would like to switch out the 4-speed trans to a 5-speed. I dont know what year the engine and trans are. I dont think they are the originals. I know the trans shifter is mounted to the drivers side. Not directly over the top. My first question is if there is a difference in the bell housing for different years of the 302. And my second question is what Ford 5-speed is a good, tough transmission. The motor is a really mild build but I dont want something that is going to crap out on me if I squeel a tire. Suggestions???

#2 ·
Ford small block bell bolt patterns re the same, the starter location changes. You must match the flywheel tooth count--157 or 164 tooth.
T-5 trans was made to fit the 5.0L Mustang and is very durable. The trans of choice and the most desirable is the '88 and later World Clas T-5, still available new is speed books (Jegs) for about $1300.00
Match that flywheel.....

#4 ·
they make adapter plates that can adapt the t5 the toploader bellhousing. here's a link: http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchan...PFMP&Product_Code=08663&Category_Code=t5_kits

this kit even has the transmission crossmember, as well as a new slip yoke. the only thing you'ld need other than this kit is a new driveshaft (i believe it will need to be shortened) and possibly new gears for the rear diff. depending on what's in there now, a 0.68:1 overdrive 5th with a 3.25 rear at 70mph will tach about 2200rpm, and a 3.55 rear will do about 2500rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.