Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford 6.0 diesel woes

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  CJ_1080 
#1 ·
Hey guys, any diesel mechanics on here? My question is about a 04 Ford 6 liter Turbo diesel. The dealership said the ippc sensor was out. It is almost 600 bucks for the sensor and install. I was wondering if any of you have ever heard or know about this. I was hoping to be able to Google it but nothing comes up. Which makes me wonder about the dealership. They have done some questionable work in the past, and wanted to check this out if nothing else.

Hopefully this is the right place for this question! Thanks for any help you can provide!

#2 ·
Although no expert I consider myself very knowledgable on 6.0 power stroke. I've never heard of this and it's definately not a common failure point to my knowledge. I also couldn't find anything on google. Go to powerstroke.org and ask them. They are a forum similar to this and they have many ford technicians the browse the boards as well as several people who probably know enough tO tell the technicians how to do thier job. It would also be a good idea to check that forum because the 6.0 has several recurring problems with simple solutions that the dealerships went willing to do.

#3 ·
6.0 Diesel

CJ_1080 said:
Hey guys, any diesel mechanics on here? My question is about a 04 Ford 6 liter Turbo diesel. The dealership said the ippc sensor was out. It is almost 600 bucks for the sensor and install. I was wondering if any of you have ever heard or know about this. I was hoping to be able to Google it but nothing comes up. Which makes me wonder about the dealership. They have done some questionable work in the past, and wanted to check this out if nothing else.

Hopefully this is the right place for this question! Thanks for any help you can provide!
I have a 6.0, it was the third one off the line, it is a 03 but was built in 02. Even though the engine is not built anymore, Ford has tracked the truck since new. I have never heard of your problem, I have 135,000 on mine other than upper and lower ball joints, that is all I have done to it. Oil and filter changes every 3000 miles.

#4 ·
I think you mean , IPC sensor Injector pressure control sensor
There are several reasons that it is throwing a code for that, one is that the High pressure Oil pump is not making enough pressure to run the injectors, or the injector drive plungers are leaking oil pressure(more common and very$$$$) or the injector pressure regulator is malfunctioning.
you can scan the live data on the truck and arrive at a conclusion for a repair,check the PID values for the injector pressure regulator duty cycle, the PID for injector pressure value,etc etc etc.
You could just put on the sensor in question and hope it works.If it doesnt start hard when cold chances are the sensor is the issue.If the pressure was low or bleeding off from a defective o ring for a drive plunger or high pressure oil passage leak it would start noticibly hard when cold and would get worse as days go on.

#5 ·
Oh, and 600 bucks for that job sounds pretty high.That sensor is right on top where it is easy to get at, and the part, IIRC is only 120 bucks.
If they spend 3 hours diagnosing the issue , hooking up gauges,scanners etc,I would feel different. Ihave worked on a few, I dont work on them anymore, they are riddled with problems,and are hard to repair.

#6 ·
latech said:
... they are riddled with problems,and are hard to repair.
Ditto on that. I was the Parts Manager at a very small rural dealership, where everyone from farmers to cowboys to oilfield and other fleet was a full of diesel trucks.

The 6.0's have a variable-vane turbo that gets stuck in the full-boost mode. The trucks go like stink, but the excessive boost either blows the silicone hoses right off the intercooler, or even splits the seams.

Injectors and pumps were very troublesome. Ball Joints, steering components, "vacuum seals", brakes, exhaust, not to mention the world's most expensive engine air filter. :eek

Yep, those trucks kept our little shop very busy.
Before you Dodge and GM guys start pounding your chests ... those trucks keep the steering, suspension, and brake shops extremely busy as well.
With Dodge / Cummins in particular, I suppose that is bound to happen when you get an engine that is designed to outlive the body.

#7 ·
Try the oilburners.net board. There is a 6.0 forum there.
http://oilburners.net/

If you want to learn to fix this stuff yourself try to get on a couple of Ford diesel boards. Be aware that some of these can be tough on you being a newbie.

Actually DTR even though it is a Cummins board is far easier to get along on. The guys may dig you a little for being a Ford guy but they really want to help out even though you will be the "other guy" haha

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/

Also it is well worth it to get your own code scanner and a service manual. Get very familiar with the common things that happen to these trucks. It's hard to find anyone quickly that you can trust. Nothing like a gas guy trying to tell you how the diesel works when they can barely get the gasser to run.

#8 ·
latech said:
Oh, and 600 bucks for that job sounds pretty high.That sensor is right on top where it is easy to get at, and the part, IIRC is only 120 bucks.
If they spend 3 hours diagnosing the issue , hooking up gauges,scanners etc,I would feel different. Ihave worked on a few, I dont work on them anymore, they are riddled with problems,and are hard to repair.
Actually in 04 the sensor is in the back on top of the high pressure pump housing and is a little difficult to get too. That year is common for the sensor to leak through the terminals and throw a code for that sensor.

#10 ·
Thanks guys, this is my boss's new(to him) truck! Its a 2004 with 36,000 miles on it. I told him not to get a 6.0. He even payed big coin for a 3 year unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty. Guess this part isn't the bumper or bumper cause it somehow isn't covered. Well thanks again guys. We will let you know how this turns out!

#11 ·
I'm not a mechanic but my Fire Department has 60 of the F-450-550 Ford chassis that have the 6.0 or 6.4 twin turbo Navistar built V-8 diesels that are a real problem with Turbo's and camshaft issues. Ford is suing Navistar and has now cancelled their long standing V-8 diesel contract with Navistar and is introducing a new 6.7 "Scorpion" reverse flow diesel engine. It is built by Cummins. We invoked the California "Lemon Law" provisions and Ford is eating those rigs. Our County FD has 82 new 2012 Dodge 4500--5500 chassis on order and the first have arrived. Nice rigs too. The new six speed automatic transmissions do have a "Hill holder" too and it seems to work very well.
Normbc9

#12 ·
Well the truck is back. The sensor was replaced and they found the number 8 injector was leaking and was also replaced. The truck starts easier, less noise, no smoke, and the boss said his fuel mileage has gone up to 18 MPG! Problem solved.

Thanks guys, now all we have to do is look forward to all the Egr, Turbo, camshaft, head/headgaskets, and the rest of the usual Ford problems! Yea we can't wait. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.