Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford 8.8 Explorer rearend spring perches?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 10:39 AM

Last journal entry: 1955 Chevy Truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 8.8 Explorer rearend spring perches?

I am curious what everyone is using for spring perches when using the 8.8 Explorer rearend. Does Ford offer them loose by themselves? The axle tubes for these rearends is 3-1/4" diameter. I have an Explorer rearend that I have cut off the factory spring perches, but wasn't able to salvage them. It seems like the most common spring perches available is 3", and didn't know if everyone is just using those and grinding them slightly to make them fit, or if someone makes them for the 3-1/4" axle diameters. I am replacing a Nova 10 bolt rearend, and have it mounted on the top of the leaf springs. I used a set of aftermarket perches for it that fit fine. Do the 3" ones fit ok without any mods? Someone told me they fit fine and by the time I weld them, the slight difference in diameter actually leaves a small gap for good weld penetration. I have tried to research this on the forum and internet, but didn't find any definite answers. I have the Ford rearend, but haven't obtained any spring perches yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.