Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford 8.8 Rear U-Joints
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by v123 View Post
I am using a Ford 8.8 rear from a 1990 Explorer in a PT Cruiser converted to RWD. The rear has a nominally 5 inch circular input flange and that diameter is about 1/2 " too large to clear the fuel cell comfortably.
I have seen pictures of flange-to- Ujoint adapters and also splined yokes that seem to be available. I suppose removing the stock flanged input and machining it to a smaller diameter and smaller bolt pattern is also possible.
I am totally unfamiliar with Ford axles and wonder if it is possible to remove the input flange and replace it without affecting the pinion depth.
Any suggestions on how to generate a little clearance will be appreciated. This will not be a high torque situation (470 ft-lbs max in low gear) and I believe a 1310 size U Joint would be big enough but perhaps a 1330 would be better .
The drive shaft I plan to shorten is from an S-10 and has the plastic retained U joints -- How do you replace them ?
I'll be grateful for any help!
And are you taking suspension movement into account? Post some pix, this sounds dangerously close...

Russ