ford 8.8 swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 07:57 PM
SB S10

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ford 8.8 swap

is the 8.8 rearend from a ford explorer the one mostly used in s10 swaps? are they the same width?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Ranger is closer in width. You narrow the wider side to the short-side spec and use 2 short-side axles and it ends up 2" wider than an S-10. I have done this on my '96 and I run a 325-50 tire on 10" rim with 5.5" backspacing.

That said, if I were to do it over I'd use the Explorer axle with 31 splines (you can only get the Ranger in 28 splines). The cost wouldn't be that much more, maybe an added $250 or so.

Russ
Old 12-20-2007, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

that is what I am using for may s10 with a 53 chevy body perfect width.

with the 8.8 installed and tested 3.73 posi traded straight across for stock rear

Old 01-10-2008, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Hey runn,
check out my swap write-up I did a few years back. Here it is - Ford 8.8 swap. I've been running the 8.8 for a while now and it's been awesome. It is wider by a margin... about 6" total or 3" per side. The leaf spring mounts to line up well though. Since I was on a budget, I opted for this swap and just offset most of the width difference by using wheels with larger backspacing. If you want to take it a step farther, the diff is offset by about 2.25" which means you can cut the housing on the long side and use another short side axle as a cheap way of narrowing it without needing custom axles. It will still be a bid wider but it will help.

Other than that there are very limited options for the S-10. The stock rear is extremely narrow compared to most other applications. I've heard of mythical 9inchers from older broncos that are about the right width but I've never found one. Other than that you can also try to scavenge for an 8.5" out of a newer S-10 4.3HO... once again very rare and I believe they only came with 3.08 gears and open diff, so factor in a gear and posi swap. Beyond that you'll have to pony some cash for a shortening. Hope that helps.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNanthrup
Hey runn,
check out my swap write-up I did a few years back. Here it is - Ford 8.8 swap. I've been running the 8.8 for a while now and it's been awesome. It is wider by a margin... about 6" total or 3" per side. The leaf spring mounts to line up well though. Since I was on a budget, I opted for this swap and just offset most of the width difference by using wheels with larger backspacing. If you want to take it a step farther, the diff is offset by about 2.25" which means you can cut the housing on the long side and use another short side axle as a cheap way of narrowing it without needing custom axles. It will still be a bid wider but it will help.

Other than that there are very limited options for the S-10. The stock rear is extremely narrow compared to most other applications. I've heard of mythical 9inchers from older broncos that are about the right width but I've never found one. Other than that you can also try to scavenge for an 8.5" out of a newer S-10 4.3HO... once again very rare and I believe they only came with 3.08 gears and open diff, so factor in a gear and posi swap. Beyond that you'll have to pony some cash for a shortening. Hope that helps.
I do have a 9" from the old Bronco and they measure 58" from flange to flange for the mounting flange of the wheel. Forgot for the moment what the wheel to wheel flange for the s10 is.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl
I do have a 9" from the old Bronco and they measure 58" from flange to flange for the mounting flange of the wheel. Forgot for the moment what the wheel to wheel flange for the s10 is.
Ok well in that case it sounds like even the bronco rear is too wide. I don't remember what the S-10 is from wheel flange to wheel flange but it's 48" from backing plate to backing plate

edit: looks like it's about 54" at the wheel mounting surface. The explorer 8.8 is about 59 3/4" at the flanges. So the bronco 9" would be even a little closer than the 8.8, although I don't know about the spring perches?

Last edited by KNanthrup; 01-11-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Last journal entry: more...
Last photo:

Here is a list of 9" axle lengths if you are interested.

http://www.dfwmotorsport.com/Fairlane/9inchrearends.htm

Last edited by lt1_performance; 01-17-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: link didnt work
Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1_performance
Here is a list of 9" axle lengths if you are interested.

http://www.dfwmotorsport.com/Fairlane/9inchrearends.htm
Lt1,
Thanks, that is very useful information!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.