Ford 8.8 swap compatibility - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 8.8 swap compatibility

Are all the ford explorers posi or is it just the V8 explorers? I'm asking because I want the explorer 5 bolt axles and I have a posi from a 87 mustang that had 4 bolt axles both are 28 spline....any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2011, 08:51 PM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:

Can I tag along without stealing your thread? I am also curious about these rear ends. I've noticed that some of the Explorers have independent rear ends. Which years, engines, carry the IRS as opposed to the straight axle?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:

no worries man, since they're in such abundance I figured I would make some good use out of em...The later years from 96-99 are good years to check out as far as IRS, but I'm just curious about the compatibility with the mustang rear ends...
Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

not all '95-'00 solid axle rears. ( actually includes '02 Sport as well ) had limited slip, but many did, and if you find a V8 they pretty much all do, it also has traction bars that you may be able to fabricate into what your building.. Juist check the data tag for the "L". if you had a tag that read 3L 73, that's a 3.73 rear with trak lok.. If it says 3 73, than it's open.. 3.73 and 4.10 were most common with the limited slip.

you can't mix 28 spline 8.8" carriers ( Ranger/ Mustang ) with 31 spline axles ( Explorer ). if you want a 5 bolt mustang, than you need 2 passanger side Ranger axles
Old 10-16-2011, 05:56 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

Here is what the tag will look like if its a limited slip, notice the "L" between 4 and 10.

I believe 95-00 explorer rear ends were all solid axles with disc brakes, but like someone else said, the explorer rear ends are different than the mustangs......

Around here I see the explorer rears go cheap all the time on craigslist with people parting out explorers....

I swapped a explorer 8.8 for the s-10 rear in on my v8 beetle project I'm working on.

Here are a couple links to some of my swap pics:
http://www.v8beetleresource.com/chassis12.html

http://www.v8beetleresource.com/chassis13.html

http://www.v8beetleresource.com/chassis14.html
Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:

@ matt167 thanks man that's exactly the info I was looking for. So two passenger side axles from a Ranger will work in the mustang housing and my 28 spline posi unit. Any particular years of Ranger?

As far as the ring and pinion from an Explorer, can you use the gears (3.73) on a mustang carrier? I know that doesn't have anything to do with the spline count.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:

@zbhover nice build man, I love the pics, I think that it might be more a a benefit to just go with an explorer rear end since it has the higher spline count better gears & disc brakes. I heard that some of the explorers and aerostars came with aluminum driveshafts too. I'm gonna be running about 400hp at the wheels so I'm sketchy about how it will hold up.

I've read that the mustang rears are not strong enough for that type of power. which is why I'm considering the Explorer now and ditching the Mustang rear...
Old 10-16-2011, 11:27 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

Thanks 67merccat

I've herd lots of good things about explorer rear ends from v8 s10 people, ranger people, and jeep people, it should be plunty for what I'll be doing. Right now I just have a stock 350, but will probably build something around 350hp eventually....... That is if I don't start another project before that......... LOL

I'd just check to make sure the explorer rear end isn't too wide for your mustang though......... Maybe swapping out the long axle tube and axle on the drivers side for the shorter pass. side from another rear end would be enough to make the width correct for you??????

Good luck with your project!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67MercCat
@ matt167 thanks man that's exactly the info I was looking for. So two passenger side axles from a Ranger will work in the mustang housing and my 28 spline posi unit. Any particular years of Ranger?

As far as the ring and pinion from an Explorer, can you use the gears (3.73) on a mustang carrier? I know that doesn't have anything to do with the spline count.
ring and pinion will swap.. I just looked it back up. '83-'92' Ranger or Bronco II driver side axle ( had it backwards ) or a '86-'97 Aerostar and use the passanger side axles. There the same axle shaft
Old 10-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:

ahh okay I wrote all this info down in my research book. I wouldn't mind making a couple ready to bolt it rear ends for classic mustangs and cougars since they're so readily available and selling the bolt in kit. They work great with the T5/AOD and the driveshafts are in abundance too (unless the pick a part forklifts destroy them) from what I understand, the 95+ ford explorer driveshaft requires no shortening when installing the T5/AOD swap with an 8.8
Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Psychomotors

You can also get these parts from the 97 and up Mercury Mountaineers.I'm driving one,lol.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:

ah yes the almighty Mountaineers! I totally forgot about them and they always come with GT40P heads and a GT40 upper and lower intakes too.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Psychomotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67MercCat
ah yes the almighty Mountaineers! I totally forgot about them and they always come with GT40P heads and a GT40 upper and lower intakes too.
Yep,lol.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.