Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford 9" Axle Diameter

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  35pontiaccoupe 
#1 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me what the minimum axle diameter can be in order to cut 31 splines ?

#3 ·
Thank you, would you know the minimum diameter for 28 spline? My axles are 28 spline and will be shortened about 7". The axle is not tapered but rather stepped down 3 times from the flange end to the splines. 1.37 to 1.23 to 1.20 ... I think the new splines will be in the 1.23 area... Do not know what they expect for minimum diameter ... I really hope to keep these axles for money reasons but if need be I could find 31 spline axles or bit the bullet and pay for new ones. The car will not see over 500 HP. so do you think the 28 splines will be adequate ?

#4 ·
fredbaker said:
Thank you, would you know the minimum diameter for 28 spline? My axles are 28 spline and will be shortened about 7". The axle is not tapered but rather stepped down 3 times from the flange end to the splines. 1.37 to 1.23 to 1.20 ... I think the new splines will be in the 1.23 area... Do not know what they expect for minimum diameter ... I really hope to keep these axles for money reasons but if need be I could find 31 spline axles or bit the bullet and pay for new ones. The car will not see over 500 HP. so do you think the 28 splines will be adequate ?
My BBC in my S10 is putting out over 500 hp with stock 9" Ford 31 spline axles that I had shortened & resplined by Moser. I have twisted the splines on those and will be going with aftermarket ones. I would not even consider 28 spline axles with close to 500 hp unless you will be driving it like a luxury car (which I would'nt :D ). I would at least try to locate some stock 31 splines or do what I am doing, go with aftermarkets and forget it. A pair of Moser alloy axles will cost you around $320.00 + shipping and to have your stock ones shortened & resplined will cost $110.00 + shipping so the extra $200.00 for good axles is well worth the peace of mind.

#7 ·
fredbaker said:
That is sound advise. Moser is narrowing the housing so I will have them install new axles also. Can I then find a 31 spline carrier with posi and bolt it right in ?
When you talk to Moser about the axles, mention what carrier you want to use just so they know before they make the axles. They are very good at what they do and will notice any issues you may have with your setup.

#8 ·
More troubles, huh? I wondered if they would be able to narrow the 28 spline stockers. I would still ask what they need for a diameter, but I would guess you're not going to have enough meat.

Add to the cost of shipping+narrowing+changing the bolt pattern, and the new customs are looking better by the minute huh? And like I've said in the other threads, make sure you tell them what you're working with as far as brakes and center section. There are slightly different axle lengths for the different differentials, so decide on that before you have the axles made.

The one thing you need to look at with the carrier is there are 2 different diameters of carrier bearings out there. 3.062" or 2.891". Make sure you measure your old ones before you order the new ones. That should be part of your rear end rebuild kit though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.