Ford 9" Disc Brake Conversion - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 01:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbaker
I now have another issue. The housing ends on my 9" look like the new style ( Torino ) but the bolt pattern is the old style big bearing. It has the 3/4" tee bolts and measures 3.556 X 2.375 . The new style ends say 3.557" X 2.0" . What am I missing here ?
I have determined that my 9" has the early big bearing ends with 28 spline axles. The bolt pattern on the ends is correct for the early ones but the shape of them is identical to the later " Torino ' ends. The only thing I have found is some aftermarket old style ends that match mine so maybe this rearend has been narrowed before. I will have Moser weld on the later style ends so that I can install Explorer disc brakes and re-machine the wheel bolt pattern for the 5 X 4.5 pattern as this seems to be the most popular pattern and I already have a set of Crager SS 10" X 15 mags to match the front 5" X 14 .. A set of 2 Cragers are $400.00 these days.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbaker
I have determined that my 9" has the early big bearing ends with 28 spline axles. The bolt pattern on the ends is correct for the early ones but the shape of them is identical to the later " Torino ' ends. The only thing I have found is some aftermarket old style ends that match mine so maybe this rearend has been narrowed before. I will have Moser weld on the later style ends so that I can install Explorer disc brakes and re-machine the wheel bolt pattern for the 5 X 4.5 pattern as this seems to be the most popular pattern and I already have a set of Crager SS 10" X 15 mags to match the front 5" X 14 .. A set of 2 Cragers are $400.00 these days.....
Glad you made some progress... I'm really at a loss for why they're shaped like Torino ends, but maybe they were produced like that at some point. I honestly don't know!

Are you having Moser narrow the housing and the axles? I don't know that they'll be able to narrow the 28 spline axles. How much narrower are you going? You may end up having to do custom axles...

When you have them do all this, make sure you tell them what brake setup you're going to run so they can figure all that into the equation. The early big bearing axles ran a "brake offset" of 2.375" while the explorer requires 2.5" offset. On that note, ask them if the spacer is needed as well. They should know what you're talking about, but it's basically a spacer that goes between the bearing and the axle retainer to account for the difference in drum backing plate thickness vs. disc backing plate thickness. It's the "preload spacer" in the speedway directions that I posted.

Also, check the axle register diameter to make sure it's less than the rotor opening diameter. I had to shave mine down a little so the rotor would fit on the axles. The opening is 2.800".

Did you decide if you're going to pull the brakes from a junkyard or are you buying the kit from somebody like summit or speedway?

Again, if you have any more questions or need pictures, feel free to PM me or add to this thread. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:38 PM

I agree the housing ends are a mystery but still old style. Moser will narrow the housing to 42" and weld on new style big bearing ends. Also the axles if they can. He seemed to think it could be done but if not new axles will be the choice. The 28 spline axles I have are quite beefy until the last 4" where they are turned down and splined. I think they may be able to 31 spline them and then change the 2 gears in the carrier to accept the 31 splines or just stay with 28 spline. I really don't see a problem with them shortening the 28 spline axles but who knows. I have located both sides of the Explorer rear disc brakes at a local junkyard for $125.00. What do you mean by the axle register ? That is 1 thing of many I am not familiar with. LOL I really appreciate everyones tolerance with my ignorance....
Old 09-23-2009, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

I've heard the axle register be called several things, but basically it's the outer shoulder of the axle that the rotor fits around and keeps it centered. It's measurement "R" in the diagram below.

125 sounds about right for the stuff from a junkyard. Most of my stuff was pretty rough, so I got new rotors and the ebrake hardware was shot so I got that too. Pretty cheap at Napa... Calipers may be ok, depending on how long they've been sitting out.

Try to get the e brake cables if possible. Depending on what you're running for a parking brake, they may be able to tie in to whatever you already have. If not, Lokar makes a set of cables specifically for explorer rears that is pretty slick. That's what I used...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AxleDimensions.gif
Views:	452
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	40867  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.