Ford 9" Disc Brake Conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 04:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 9" Disc Brake Conversion

Has anyone converted the Ford 9" to disc brakes using junkyard caliper stands, rotors, and calipers from another vehicle ? Any other thoughs ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2009, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Depends which 9" you have and its housing ends. The small bearing axles can be done with the crown vic swap. The late big ford ends can be done with the explorer brakes. I don't know of any early big ford ends that swap directly over, but I could be wrong.

There's lots of info out there on both...
Old 09-18-2009, 06:09 PM

I have a 9" 5 X 5.5 with big bearings out of a truck. I plan to have Moser change it to 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern when they narrow it and put in new axles. I have heard that the disc brakes from a older Blazer 4X4 work well with a little hole enlargement and they are cheap.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

Most likely when moser narrows the rear they will put on late big ford ends. With that, you can use the explorer brakes with no modifications to the brakes-they'll bolt right up. Tell moser that's what you plan to use and they will factor that into the brake spacing. Explorer swap is pretty easy..

You want to get brakes from a 95-99 explorer. You'll have to pull the c clips out of the housing to get the backing plates off. You'll want to get the ebrake cables too. You may have to turn down the axle register or open the rotors. Some of the truck axles have a larger register than the explorer. I would rather have moser turn the axle down so you don't have to open the rotors up every time you replace them..

If you have any questions let me know..
Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

Here's a chart on the different housing ends...

Looks like the blazer ends are pretty different from the late big fords that moser would most likely use...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear%20ID.jpg
Views:	2778
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	40783  
Old 09-18-2009, 08:16 PM

Can you buy the Explorer caliper supports aftermarket ?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

You can get the kits all together from lots of places. The cheapest is this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-2300-G/

you can piece it together for a lot less than that..
Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 PM

Last photo:

I'm running a Big bearing 9" and converted my rear to disc brakes. They sell the caliper bracket which bolt directly up alone for under $60.00 for both sides. The brackets are setup to fit GM calipers which most people opt for the 85 Cadillac Seville rear calipers because they have the emergency brake setup. The Cadillac calipers are tough to adjust but work nicely when you can figure them out. I used Lokar cables which were the easiest to install to the calipers. Do a search on Ford 9" disc conversion kits, they'll sell the bracket only. Another little trick I found on Big bearing rearends is to use the axles from a Scout or Jeep, the axle are .5 inches shorter than the stock axles in the 9 inch Ford and are interchangeable. Works nice if your going with wide rims and need the additional .5 inches of clearance.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:31 AM

Last photo:

Mine was done with weld on brackets(speedway motors)"$9.99, rotors from the front of a 85 jeep cherokee $10.00 for 2, 2 new metric calipers $20.00 from napa.Total for rear disc brakes $39.99 but no parking brake which is easily solved by installing a shutoff valve in the rear brake line, just push the brakes shut the valve rear brakes stay applied.Works just like a line lock only manual instead of electric.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleen56
I'm running a Big bearing 9" and converted my rear to disc brakes. They sell the caliper bracket which bolt directly up alone for under $60.00 for both sides. The brackets are setup to fit GM calipers which most people opt for the 85 Cadillac Seville rear calipers because they have the emergency brake setup. The Cadillac calipers are tough to adjust but work nicely when you can figure them out. I used Lokar cables which were the easiest to install to the calipers. Do a search on Ford 9" disc conversion kits, they'll sell the bracket only. Another little trick I found on Big bearing rearends is to use the axles from a Scout or Jeep, the axle are .5 inches shorter than the stock axles in the 9 inch Ford and are interchangeable. Works nice if your going with wide rims and need the additional .5 inches of clearance.
Where do they sell the caliper brackets that bolt on using GM calipers ?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Here's a couple that have a good kit.
http://www.tsmmfg.com/2500.htm
These are the guys I purchased my kit from and the kit was easy to install. I believe the owner is Dan? or Dave? He will sell you the brackets only and he's real knowledgeable about the subject. Good luck!
http://www.steeltechsolutions.com/RE...PAGE_CODE.html

Last edited by kleen56; 09-20-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

If its any help check my project journal,,page 2 how I did mine....
Old 09-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35pontiaccoupe

Looks like the blazer ends are pretty different from the late big fords that moser would most likely use...
Thanks to your chart I have discovered that my 9" has the preferred new style big ends. I thought all this time that they were the old style. That will save me $100.00 at Moser ....

Old 09-22-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35pontiaccoupe

I now have another issue. The housing ends on my 9" look like the new style ( Torino ) but the bolt pattern is the old style big bearing. It has the 3/4" tee bolts and measures 3.556 X 2.375 . The new style ends say 3.557" X 2.0" . What am I missing here ?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

Did you measure everything? In looking around for more charts to see if the early bigs had that same look, I found that the early bigs are actually 3.50 wide and not 3.566 like the chart I posted. Are yours actually 3.566 wide or did you just look at the vertical measurement? I don't know if they made the early large bearing ends that look like the lates. Maybe somebody else can tell us, but I would go by the measurements and not the look.

Did you ever say what this rear was out of?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.