Ford 9" Disc Brake Conversion issues... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Ford 9" Disc Brake Conversion issues...

Hey everyone! Hoping you can clear some things up and answer a couple questions I have. Okay I have a 9" in my s10 and originally had drum brakes on it but they were beyond shot and rotted and figured well its a good time to convert them to disc.

Okay this top weld on kit is the one I was looking at... http://core.daynet.day/pages/jobs/cM...PezFiCC/parts/ After reading the detailed instructions it says that the Brake rotor register needs to be 2.810" or smaller. I measured my axles and they are around 2.910" Can I have my machinist put the rotors on his lathe and open up the brake register to accept the axles larger register? Also the kit says that the hub flange diameter need to be 5.710" or less....the diameter of the hub flanges on my axles are over 6.5" Can I cut the flanges down?

I can see getting away with cutting the rotors down that is not a lot of metal removal but the axle flanges would be over 1/2" off of each side. Can anyone tell me if this is even possible or if I should just look into getting a different kit that will fit my axles?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Classic performance makes several 9" rear disc brake kits all at $599.00, depending on bolt-circle pattern and flange bolt size.

Scroll all the way down the page to the Heading: 9" FORD FLANGE REAR BRAKE KITS ... it's second from the bottom.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Thanks for the reply but my current budget is about $300 or less. (just out of school and getting a reliable dd and finding a place to live is eating up most if my income...... And all my other projects lol)
Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 PM

have the axle hubs turned too fit the rotors the factory uses a different diameter hub on the axles too fit the rotors than the drums so even aftermarket disk kits will be designed for the smaller disk brake axles so pull them and get them turned .101 thousanths and pop 'em back in and go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:09 PM

as far as the register you may have too have them machined also however if you buy a good quality kit the only mod that is mandatory is turning the hub being turned
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

1957 Ford rear end, Wilwood disc brake kit (newer versions use the Explorer rotor) with one minor mod to add some 50 cent 3/4" spacers to fit that vintage

By the time you get done with paying a machine shop, running the parts around, making up odd ball components, welding (distorting??) on an axle housing, you could have bought this kit, installed it over a weekend, driven the car on Monday:

There are other 'kits' available(Speedway, ECI any race track catalog), but these Wilwoods have been totally reliable

Dave W

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.