Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford 9" Disc Brake Conversion issues...

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! Hoping you can clear some things up and answer a couple questions I have. Okay I have a 9" in my s10 and originally had drum brakes on it but they were beyond shot and rotted and figured well its a good time to convert them to disc.

Okay this top weld on kit is the one I was looking at... http://core.daynet.day/pages/jobs/cMGG4sKkir4BWsYPezFiCC/parts/ After reading the detailed instructions it says that the Brake rotor register needs to be 2.810" or smaller. I measured my axles and they are around 2.910" Can I have my machinist put the rotors on his lathe and open up the brake register to accept the axles larger register? Also the kit says that the hub flange diameter need to be 5.710" or less....the diameter of the hub flanges on my axles are over 6.5" Can I cut the flanges down?

I can see getting away with cutting the rotors down that is not a lot of metal removal but the axle flanges would be over 1/2" off of each side. Can anyone tell me if this is even possible or if I should just look into getting a different kit that will fit my axles?

Thanks!

#4 ·
have the axle hubs turned too fit the rotors the factory uses a different diameter hub on the axles too fit the rotors than the drums so even aftermarket disk kits will be designed for the smaller disk brake axles so pull them and get them turned .101 thousanths and pop 'em back in and go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 ·
1957 Ford rear end, Wilwood disc brake kit (newer versions use the Explorer rotor) with one minor mod to add some 50 cent 3/4" spacers to fit that vintage

By the time you get done with paying a machine shop, running the parts around, making up odd ball components, welding (distorting??) on an axle housing, you could have bought this kit, installed it over a weekend, driven the car on Monday:

There are other 'kits' available(Speedway, ECI any race track catalog), but these Wilwoods have been totally reliable

Dave W

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.