ford 9'' with disk brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2007, 11:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ford 9'' with disk brakes

i found a ford 9'' with disk brakes, my question is it worth buying. i have a 28 Essex 3 window to put it in. in order to use it i will need to get it shortened 6 to 8 inches, and most likely go throw and replace seals and brakes. its in a 76 mercury. im not sure of the gear ratio but im willing to bet its pretty high. just wondering if its worth dealing with?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_rat_rodder
i found a ford 9'' with disk brakes, my question is it worth buying. i have a 28 Essex 3 window to put it in. in order to use it i will need to get it shortened 6 to 8 inches, and most likely go throw and replace seals and brakes. its in a 76 mercury. im not sure of the gear ratio but im willing to bet its pretty high. just wondering if its worth dealing with?

You probably need something about 57 1/2 inches from wheel to wheel. Measure that one carefully. Axles for 9" rears are not usually resplineable. I think all the cars and pickups from 57-72 were about the right width for you.

If it's a big 76 Merc, it's probably 4 inches wider than that. Gear is probably 2.50, 28 spline, 2 spider, maybe limited slip. Look for L in the tag code right by the bolt, top line. looks like 2L50 = 2.50 gear Limited slip, etc.

If it is too wide and not "posi" all you have is a "chunk housing" and brakes. You could install a mini locker and use the carrier for a posi that way.

A 5 bolt wheel Maverick 8" rear is 56" wide, I hear, and they are getting popular in street rods, and will stand 300 hp at the tires if you don't have traction (slicks). Granada is 57 1/2 wide, and uses the same axles/bearings as the light 9". All drum brakes.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:27 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Lincoln versais, and ford granada both have disc bake rearends, 8.8, with 223 & 272 gears [on the 2 that I have used, but a 9" ring will fit in the housing with a tiny bit of clearance work . The mercury must be the monteray or some big model,, I used these rear ends in a 51 chev and a 36 chev and didn't have to narrow them any,,
Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

The 8" is a better rear for a street rod that isn't drag raced. Most have terrible gear ratios and posi rears are like hens teeth but the width is right on and so is the weight,,

NOW about that Essex coupe! Does it have suicide doors with a big piano hinge on the rear side? All wood roof above the doors? I have one (I think). I just started a chassis for it. 2x3tubing, traditional Ford front, Split bones, beam axle. drilled with disc brakes. Malibu rotors and Volvo calipers. Using a Granada 8" rear. Coil overs. Trailing arm with panhard bar.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
The 8" is a better rear for a street rod that isn't drag raced. Most have terrible gear ratios and posi rears are like hens teeth but the width is right on and so is the weight,,

NOW about that Essex coupe! Does it have suicide doors with a big piano hinge on the rear side? All wood roof above the doors? I have one (I think). I just started a chassis for it. 2x3tubing, traditional Ford front, Split bones, beam axle. drilled with disc brakes. Malibu rotors and Volvo calipers. Using a Granada 8" rear. Coil overs. Trailing arm with panhard bar.
yes mine has suicide doors with piano hinges, they do have wood tops but mine didn't come with one. how wide is your rearend from backing plate to backing plate, the rear end i have out of a mercury is too wide and it sounds like its not worth messing with good thing i only payed 75$ for it. i do want to run a 9'' tho so what year car would possibly work for me? i also found a 9'' out of an 60's ford pickup its a lot closer to what i need but has drum brakes and a better gear ratio. maybe i could use the disk brakes from the merc rearend, i don't know this has been a stressful build, i love it
Old 02-06-2007, 11:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat
Lincoln versais, and ford granada both have disc bake rearends, 8.8, with 223 & 272 gears [on the 2 that I have used, but a 9" ring will fit in the housing with a tiny bit of clearance work . The mercury must be the monteray or some big model,, I used these rear ends in a 51 chev and a 36 chev and didn't have to narrow them any,,
The G/V/M cars did not have 8.8 rear ends, only 8 and 9 on leaf springs. Only the 9s having disc brakes. 9" gears were all 2.50, 4 spider posi optional. 9" gears do not fit 8.8 rears, or Currie is very wrong.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 AM

Last photo:

You are probably right about the 8.8,, the guy that set put in the new gears and set it up said it was a 8.8 but appairently it was a 9",cause it did have disc brakes,,,,, what ever it is the 9" gears I got from summit,, fit.. he said he had to do a little , grinding,, guess I better keep my mouth shut about what people tell me huh????
Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You are probably right about the 8.8,, the guy that set put in the new gears and set it up said it was a 8.8 but appairently it was a 9",cause it did have disc brakes,,,,, what ever it is the 9" gears I got from summit,, fit.. he said he had to do a little , grinding,, guess I better keep my mouth shut about what people tell me huh????
Naw, that is how we learn.

Apparently they are not directly interchangeable without grinding... if at all.

Both the Ford 8 and 9 inch are removable "chunks".
There are some common internal parts, and
the "light nine" and the 8 use the same axles and bearings, if they are both 57 1/2 wide.

The Ford 8.8 has a tin pan on the back and the carrier is assembled into the housing like a 10/12 bolt Chevy. The Ford 8.8 has common parts with the GM 12 bolt.

I never saw an 8 with factory discs.
Both 9 and 8.8 came with drums or discs.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

I'm thinking I might be smelling a rat here,, the guy that set up the R/E ,told me he had to use one of his carriers, because the one I had was a 8.8,and charged me for it ,, but I never got mine back,, if in fact he DID change them out,, and I know for a fact that the R/E came out of a Versailles, cause I took it out,, and it did have disc, and was 223 Ratio. according to the tag and 571/2" thats why I wanted it,, I bought a 3.00 R& P from summit and it was for a 9',,,,, ouch!! I feel the shaft here,, I rechecked the invoice he gave me and he did charge me for a 9" carrier, to the tune of 75$,,that apparently was already mine.... seems I need to make a phone call,,
I must have had my stupid sign flashing that day,, the worst thing is ,, he is supposedly a good friend,, I guess those are the kind of friends a person needs to watch out for,, I have been kinda leery of him about some other things he has done for me,, Thanks for the information,, it opened my eyes to some dirty dealing,, Bill
Old 02-07-2007, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I'm thinking I might be smelling a rat here,, the guy that set up the R/E ,told me he had to use one of his carriers, because the one I had was a 8.8,and charged me for it ,, but I never got mine back,, if in fact he DID change them out,, and I know for a fact that the R/E came out of a Versailles, cause I took it out,, and it did have disc, and was 223 Ratio. according to the tag and 571/2" thats why I wanted it,, I bought a 3.00 R& P from summit and it was for a 9',,,,, ouch!! I feel the shaft here,, I rechecked the invoice he gave me and he did charge me for a 9" carrier, to the tune of 75$,,that apparently was already mine.... seems I need to make a phone call,,
I must have had my stupid sign flashing that day,, the worst thing is ,, he is supposedly a good friend,, I guess those are the kind of friends a person needs to watch out for,, I have been kinda leery of him about some other things he has done for me,, Thanks for the information,, it opened my eyes to some dirty dealing,, Bill

Bill

look at the rear side of your differential.

Does it have a bolted metal pan covering the backside or not?
If it does it is an 8.8 not a 9.
The back side of the 9 is part of the entire axle housing, and all the gears come out through the front as an assembled chunk.

Get the "ducks in a row" before shooting your gun. (figurative speaking)

"Grinding" reminds me that Ford also made a 9 3/8 ring gear for some big cars, that is a big NINE rear essentially, but requires grinding of the housing to make it clear the edge of the ring gear. Not sure that applies, just a thought.

I never saw a 2.23 in a Versailles. Okie dokie.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I have a set of rear disc brakes that I took off my dad's 81 lincoln town car before we crushed it... It had what I believe was an 8.8, it definatly was not an 8" or 9" because I had to take the back cover off to get the axles out..

I just realized that I read the posts above wrong and X did say that there was that option on those 8.8. Sorry X.

I used a 9' with factory disc brakes from a 75 merc marquis under the barge.. It's overall width before we narrowed it was, Hub to hub 65 1/2"

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 02-07-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike

I used a 9' with factory disc brakes from a 75 merc marquis under the barge.. It's overall width before we narrowed it was, Hub to hub 65 1/2"

Later, mikey

Thanks for that info. I wonder how wide the smaller Vics and 80+ TownCars are? Anybody know?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

The R/E is a 9" cause it does not have the tin cover you are refering too, the chunk goes in from the front, and the axles come out by unbolting them at end plates,, and it came out of the lincoln V. with disc brakes, at this point I am not sure exactly what the ratio was,, I guess that don't really matter cause it wouldn't work with the computer for the motor anyway,, so we changed it to a 3.00, A 9" from summit,
This infromation on these R/E is good to know,, the R/E is in the car and working great, just have some phone calls to make,, this isn't the first time either, I'm pissed,

Thanks X I been educated Bill
Old 02-07-2007, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The R/E is a 9" cause it does not have the tin cover you are refering too, the chunk goes in from the front, and the axles come out by unbolting them at end plates,, and it came out of the lincoln V. with disc brakes, at this point I am not sure exactly what the ratio was,, I guess that don't really matter cause it wouldn't work with the computer for the motor anyway,, so we changed it to a 3.00, A 9" from summit,
This infromation on these R/E is good to know,, the R/E is in the car and working great, just have some phone calls to make,, this isn't the first time either, I'm pissed,

Thanks X I been educated Bill
Hey what are friends for?......... oh..... never mind...... LOL
Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 PM

this is dumb i've learned alot about 9'' rearends but my question has yet to be answered

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.