ford 9 inch axle spline count - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ford 9 inch axle spline count

I work at a salvage yard and have found various 9 inch rearends, they are all 31 spline axles due to the two holes, one on each side of the center one on the ends of the axles ( if Im correct ) my question is ; on one of them the area where the donut is, out to where the axle tubes are welded on ( factory ) the length is almost twice the distance of the other ones that I have found. The all have 3 inch tubes and all are leaf spring units, is there something special about this unit ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquemonster
I work at a salvage yard and have found various 9 inch rearends, they are all 31 spline axles due to the two holes, one on each side of the center one on the ends of the axles ( if Im correct ) my question is ; on one of them the area where the donut is, out to where the axle tubes are welded on ( factory ) the length is almost twice the distance of the other ones that I have found. The all have 3 inch tubes and all are leaf spring units, is there something special about this unit ?
Probably not anything special JMO and to let you know you can't alway's go by the 2 dots on the ends of the axle to tell if it's a 31 spline or not, there are some 28 spline axles out there that have the 2 dots also,
It's a good indication but not alway's true. some of the older bronco's have 28 splines with the 2 dot's on the end as well. found this out while in the salvage yard also. You do know about the "N" cases don't you the "Nodular".

Cole
Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 AM

Last photo:

Ford 8 inch rear.

While you guys are on the thread of Ford diffs. is it an expensive exercise to swap out the carrier with 3.55 gears for say a carrier with 3.0 gears for better MPG. Just looking at the numbers with my 67 which is nearly on the road after 21/2 yrs. With a 347 followed by a C4 it looks like it will be doing about 3200 RPM at 66 mph. With the torque of a 347 ,the gear set of 3.0 should be no trouble for this engine. No doubt there are heaps of guys who have 347 strokers and have tried different rear sets for both racing and economy. Seeing as my ralfy racer days are no longer happening, and our fuel here is at $6.40 a gallon i am thinking that the 3.55 wont be in this car for long.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Not sure whether the 8 inch i have has high strength nodular cast iron as i have not seen the "N" anywhere.
Cheers from downunda
Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6080037.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	789.6 KB
ID:	55902   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6080042.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	688.1 KB
ID:	55903  
Old 06-09-2011, 07:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Mustang Al.
While you guys are on the thread of Ford diffs. is it an expensive exercise to swap out the carrier with 3.55 gears for say a carrier with 3.0 gears for better MPG. Just looking at the numbers with my 67 which is nearly on the road after 21/2 yrs. With a 347 followed by a C4 it looks like it will be doing about 3200 RPM at 66 mph. With the torque of a 347 ,the gear set of 3.0 should be no trouble for this engine. No doubt there are heaps of guys who have 347 strokers and have tried different rear sets for both racing and economy. Seeing as my ralfy racer days are no longer happening, and our fuel here is at $6.40 a gallon i am thinking that the 3.55 wont be in this car for long.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Not sure whether the 8 inch i have has high strength nodular cast iron as i have not seen the "N" anywhere.
Cheers from downunda
Al.
Al - with a light car and as long as you don't have really sticky tires and doing really hard launches, the 8" will survive just fine and will up to 400+ Hp. There are no 'N' (nodular) versions. Now, if you really want prairie gears, the "standard" gearset for American Mavericks or Monarchs was a 2.75 or 2.79 with a few 3.00. If you can find one, there are Equa-locs, with a code number (or letter) of 0 for the 3.00, K for the 2.75 and L for the 2.79.

Dave W
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Al - with a light car and as long as you don't have really sticky tires and doing really hard launches, the 8" will survive just fine and will up to 400+ Hp. There are no 'N' (nodular) versions. Now, if you really want prairie gears, the "standard" gearset for American Mavericks or Monarchs was a 2.75 or 2.79 with a few 3.00. If you can find one, there are Equa-locs, with a code number (or letter) of 0 for the 3.00, K for the 2.75 and L for the 2.79.

Dave W
Thanks for that info. We have Ford Mavericks here in Aus. but not heard of the Monarchs. Am i assuming that the 8" carriers are interchangeable accross a variety of Fords. I guess if they have the same bolt pattern then there should be no worries. A code "0" would be the one for highway with the '67.
I will start asking around the wrecking yards here.
P.S. That colour on your rod is almost identical to our 1970 Ford 351 XYGT HO which is a bit like your Shelby Mustangs in the USA.
Thanks for the tips
Cheers
Al.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
P.S. That colour on your rod is almost identical to our 1970 Ford 351 XYGT HO which is a bit like your Shelby Mustangs in the USA.
Thanks for the tips
Cheers
Al.
Al - that is the Shelby color on my '31. It's called Venetian Orange, but is closer to yellow.

The Monarch is the Mercury version and identical to the Maverick but for trim.
Dave W

Last edited by Irelands child; 06-09-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Al - that is the Shelby color on my '31. It's called Venetian Orange, but is closer to yellow.

Dave W
Nice colour Dave. It stands out without being too over the top. How many hours does it owe you ?
I have kept the 67 original with Acapulco Blue in acrylic and i put 6 coats of clear on it and blocked the clear flat with 2000. Took a week to spray but months to get it ready. It had only original blue paint when i got it here with some grey primer.
Cheers.
Al.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1967 mustang front.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	55905   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6110113.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	860.9 KB
ID:	55906  
Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Nice colour Dave. It stands out without being too over the top. How many hours does it owe you ?
I have kept the 67 original with Acapulco Blue in acrylic and i put 6 coats of clear on it and blocked the clear flat with 2000. Took a week to spray but months to get it ready. It had only original blue paint when i got it here with some grey primer.
Cheers.
Al.

Al - there are more hours on this car then I could even guess. Everything is 'new' as it's a Brookville steel body on a TCI chassis. Just the grille shell and trunk lid just for prep to paint are in the 60-80 hour range. The rest of the body, probably 2-300 or more. When I started building the car, I kept a record of the dollars as well as the hours in 15 minute increments - for the first year or so. Gave that up as being counter productive as well as frightening (the dollars anyhow). I do have many of my parts receipts if I ever get desperate for something to do

Acapulco Blue is a well known standard for Mustangs - I hope you give us some more pictures of it so we can see what you folks in Oz really do. On the other site I frequent we have a few from your part of the world as well as about a dozen or so Kiwi's.

Dave W
Old 06-09-2011, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Hi Dave.
That sounds about right for an excellent result. My six month project ended in years and like yourself i stopped counting dollars and time. Most questions i get are "have you finished yet". No. We hope to hit the road in about a month.
Rewiring from scratch took me forever but there are relays, alarm/immobilizers, led lights, and extra gauge senders. At this point they all work. The engine is now in the car and exhaust fitted.
What sort of powere plant is in the '31. Looks like a weapon.
Here is a couple of pics taken last year and soon there will be a finished photo.
Cheers from downunda
Al.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4090049.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	757.5 KB
ID:	55918   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA300050.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	55919  
Old 06-09-2011, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Al - There are no 'N' (nodular) versions. Dave W

They may not make them anymore if that's what you mean Dave, but they do build some as good.JMO
There are no "N" (Nodular)for the 8 inch they came in the 9 inch like in the Boss 302 and the super cobra jet cars and some others as well. And i do agree your 8 inch shoud be fine. IMHO

Cole

Last edited by eloc431962; 06-09-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

Here's what i am talking about Al.
It's supposed to be a stronger case what some would call bullet proof i guess. JMO

Cole
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4c1a4aba-b679-44c5-a3fc-f347724a218bsportsman.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	55920  
Old 06-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Hi Cole
Thanks for your reply.
Yes that would be the preferred rear end for serious horsepower. Mine has no Nodular marking on it so i guess the material they are made from will be good enough for a 347. Being an auto it should not snatch the gears as would a manual under hard acceleration..I just had an email back from Mustangs Plus who said they could do a set of gears with 3.0 ratio but no mention of price. I guess shipping will drive me to hunt for standard gear sets here in Aus. If the maverick have an 8 inch carrier then i may be able to find that here with a ratio around 3. I guess with a 347 miles per gallon is going to be bad anyway but until it hits the road i wont know for sure.
Cheers and thanks.
Al.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hi Cole
Thanks for your reply.
Yes that would be the preferred rear end for serious horsepower. Mine has no Nodular marking on it so i guess the material they are made from will be good enough for a 347. Being an auto it should not snatch the gears as would a manual under hard acceleration..I just had an email back from Mustangs Plus who said they could do a set of gears with 3.0 ratio but no mention of price. I guess shipping will drive me to hunt for standard gear sets here in Aus. If the maverick have an 8 inch carrier then i may be able to find that here with a ratio around 3. I guess with a 347 miles per gallon is going to be bad anyway but until it hits the road i wont know for sure.
Cheers and thanks.
Al.
Anytime Al, and also Anything you can find that came with the 8 inch in it and if it has the 3:00 ratio gears you want will bolt in. good luck in your search and let us know what you come up with.

Cole
Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
Anytime Al, and also Anything you can find that came with the 8 inch in it and if it has the 3:00 ratio gears you want will bolt in. good luck in your search and let us know what you come up with.

Cole
Will do Cole. There are about 4 wrecking yards here where i live and i know a couple of the guys in one yard so i will see what they have.
Cheers
Al.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Al - don't know if Ford exported Pinto's or even built them in Aus, but many of them had 8" as well, especially the wagons. Then of course the Granada - most had the 8" though some had the light duty, 7.5, I believe.

The engine in mine is a mild 5.0L Ford crate motor with GT40P heads, the SVT 'E' roller cam/Crane 1.7 rockers, a full MSD Billet igntion and box topped by a Performer RPM intake and an Edelbrock 1405 carb

As everything looks today The Billet Proof folks have a major cardiac event when the see the car

I really like that vintage Mustang or yours - it looks like you are doing a really nice job with the restoration and major updates.

Dave W

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.