Next challenge…the rear end. I’ve got a Ford 9-inch rear (28 spline, not that it matters) that I want to convert to the Chevy 4.75 bolt pattern.
I haven’t priced out yet whether it’ll be cheaper to drill the existing axles and press in studs for the 4.75 pattern or just replace the axles with an aftermarket axle to get the pattern I want. Any input on that part would be appreciated. The existing axles seem to be in great shape.
That said; my main questions are about the drum itself for the Chevy’s and the measurements.
• What years where the 4.75 bolt pattern used? 80’s?...say, a 1985 ˝ ton truck?
• Are there any issues with the diameter of the Chevy drum as opposed to the diameter of the 73 mustang drum (10 inch, inside to inside)?
• What are the measurements of the Chevy drums for this bolt pattern?
• Is that the measurement that they are gauged by (inside to inside)? If not what measurement should be taken?
• At 39.00 each for new 1985 Chevy drums, I’m not concerned about cost but, should I consider haven’t the Ford drums drilled to fit the 4.75 pattern? That seems kinda hokey but, maybe that what folks do.
As always, Thanks for the help!