Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford 9-inch rear-end

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mac88 
#1 ·
I know nothing at all about rear-ends, so I hope I ask this question the correct way so as to not confuse anyone.

I have a 9-inch rear end that I was told came out of a '57 - '59 Ford. I'm not exactly sure what vehicle. From what I've researched, it looks have medium bearings. I'm planning on putting it under a '65 Mustang. The rear-end is a 28-spline open carrier, but I also was able to get a a 31-spline limited slip unit that I was considering swapping into the rear end and taking the open carrier out. Since I've been calling around looking for 31-spline axles, I keep getting two different points of view. Some guys are telling me to just change the side gears to 28 and use the current axles. Others are telling me to go with 31-spline axles. What would be the best approach?
The car is going to be running a stock 351W with C4 transmission. Nothing fancy. I'm just going with the 9-in. because I was able to get it so cheap and to get the experience. Also, if I or my son ever did decide to build the car up, it will have a good rear end.

If the best solution is new axles, what's the correct length and where would be the best place to find them?

The second part of my question is about brakes. I'm going to replace all the components because of rust and just old age. How do I determine what's the right kit? I've read there are different size brakes for the '57-'59 rear-end.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I used to work around Curries when they were in Anaheim so I could drop in and see them. I had them build what they call the "9 Plus" housing with late model large bearing or "Torino" bearing ends. These ends will accept the Ford Explorer disc brake rears which I also bought from them at a later date. When I bought my 31 spline posi 3rd member (not Currie) I had Currie make the axles which are $400, they already had the dimentions so the length was easy.

For what you're building and if you're keeping it relativley stock or just a mild build then the 28 spline axles will be ok....... but depending on your wallet I would go ahead and get the 31 spline and be done with it. Do a google search and see whats available, any reputable axle company won't have a problem figuring out what length you need.

Attachments

#4 ·
That is the early 9 inch. Here are some things that I would do. First trash that case. The WAR and WAB cases are the weakest that Ford made. Second, trash the axles. The early 28 spline axles are also the weakest. Third, don't trust the stock Ford Traction Lock differential. It has a weak side cover that will bust if you abuse it and trash the gears and case when it breaks. The '57 to '64 housings are the weakest, but best looking that Ford made. If this is just a street car then it will be fine, but if you start lifting the front wheels off of the ground you will probably bend the housing.

#7 ·
Re

Thanks. I will go with the 31-spline axles. I had read somewhere before that those cases were not that strong. But with what I'm planning, I dont think I will exceed the limitations of the rear-end. Over time, we may decide to do something to the 351W, but for right now, we just want to get it on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.