Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford 9 inch rear end... whinning noise???

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  84 GMC Sierra Pickup 
#1 ·
My 9 inch rear end is whinning at about 30 mph. I noticed a leak in the front bearing. Is it possible the bearing needs replaced and that would cause the whinning noise...??? No clunk or rough noise just small whine noise like road noise from tires on pavement.

Thanks
Bg :mwink: :mwink: :mwink:

#2 ·
Differential noise

One thing to look at would be your pinion bearings. Pinion bearings usually make noise when they are under load, when you are on the gas. If the noise changes if you on the gas or not I would look there first. When you are under acceleration, the ring and pinion gear are pushing away from each other, this puts a lot of load on the pinion bearings. If the front seal is leaking this may also be a sign of the bearings being loose and the seal not being able to seal to a sloppy pinion.

Rick

#3 ·
Thanks Ricky for the reply!!

I pulled the unit out today and will take it to a local rear end builder. Talked to him on the phone and he said it is most likely the gears are worn. Probaly new set of gears and bearings are due??? .................................

THANKS
Bg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.