Ford 9" leaking gear oil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 11:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 9" leaking gear oil

My brother o has a ford 9" that is leaking gear oil out one side of the axle by the disc brake assembly. Obviously its a seal of somekind. Is this pretty easy to repair or does it require removing the entire axle? I was thinking it might be an outer seal, but I have no experience with ford 9" rear ends.

Any help or guidance would be great!

Thank you...... 7dcrzr

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2006, 05:11 AM
Last photo:

There are 4 bolts that hold the axle in. Remove the 4 bolts, remove the axle, remove and replace the seal. While you are at it go ahead and replace the axle bearing. It will be easiest for you to take it to an auto patrs house that can change the bearing for you. The bearing retainer can be a bugger to get off sometimes.

Vince
Old 01-26-2006, 06:35 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

I haven't checked this yet, mine seams to leak to off and on a freind told me to be sure it isn't over filled. Take the fill plug out sitting level the oil should be 1/2 to 3/4 inch below hole opening? Just a thought.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Also check the vent tube. Make sure it isn't plugged.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

#1, oil should always be filled up to the bottom of the filler hole. That is what it is there for.

# 2 it depends on the housing. Outer seals are just dust seals. The wheel bearing seal is inside the bearing on most housings.

The HD housing has the seal outside of the bearing, and the bearing must be replaced in order to change the seal. If you have this type, be very carefull installing the seal into the axle housing, if you ruin it, you will be buying another seal and another bearing.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

Someone felt it necessary to PM me and inform me that the bearings can be pressed off the axle and reused.

The HD tapered roller bearing used on the big 28 spline axles are NOT reuseable. The inner race is smaller diameter than the axle shoulder so the bearing canNOT be pressed off the axle and reused.

If you ruin that outer seal when you install it, you will be buying another $ 60 bearing plus labor.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

There is another option as well. You can go to a sealed bearing and just use an inner seal. Just something to think about. I know it can be done with the large bearing ends (that's how mine is), but not sure what rear end you have (large or small bearing).

In either case the axle has to come out and you will need to visit the machine shop, to have the bearing pressed off and a "new" one installed. Might as well do both sides at the same time, it really isn't hard to do.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d
There is another option as well. You can go to a sealed bearing and just use an inner seal. Just something to think about. I know it can be done with the large bearing ends (that's how mine is), but not sure what rear end you have (large or small bearing).

In either case the axle has to come out and you will need to visit the machine shop, to have the bearing pressed off and a "new" one installed. Might as well do both sides at the same time, it really isn't hard to do.
Contrary to popular rumors.....
There are 3 (THREE) bearing sizes used on Ford 9 inch rears in cars. The large bearing is a tapered roller bearing with the seal on the outside. I have never seen it replaced with a sealed roller bearing, and if you did, the housing is not made for an inner seal....

There are also 3 backing plate flange sizes.... this will tell you which bearing you have.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Nothing contrary to it...you get a large tapered or a large roller or a small roller. The second is easily replaced with a sealed bearing needing no extra inner seal.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

Xntrik,

I don't claim to be a 9" expert, but I know what I built. It has large bearing ends (new style) with an inner seal and it is a sealed bearing. You don't have to take my word for it give Dutchman Axles a call www.dutchmanaxles.com and see what they tell you.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d
Xntrik,

I don't claim to be a 9" expert, but I know what I built. It has large bearing ends (new style) with an inner seal and it is a sealed bearing. You don't have to take my word for it give Dutchman Axles a call www.dutchmanaxles.com and see what they tell you.

Camaroman, I too claim no expertise... I have some info somewhere that I cannot find now, so at this time I concede to you. I am searching and learning.

http://www.kevinstang.com/ pretty decent site.. (which also shows 28 spline axles with outer ends that look like 31.) None of the axles pictured on the site look like the 28s that I have in either of my cars. Mine are a continuous taper to smaller than the splines, to almost 1.060".

I had 2 Country Squires with trailer packages, a 73 and a 77, both bought new, that had the big 9 with tapered roller bearings and the seal on the outside of the bearing, each 28 spline. The second car was a pain, as the rear seals were replaced by Ford 2 times before stopping the leaks. That housing would not accept inner seals. In 20years I have not seen another of these HD 28 spline roller bearing rear ends. I have somewhere a flange pattern chart that shows a larger pattern with large diameter bolts. This might have been some very limited addition and these rears were truck rears installed in passenger cars for HD applications. Years ago, circle track guys were seeking these for the added strength. I am positive that these cars were 28 spline, because the 77/460 car came with a 2.50 gear and I snatched a 3.00 from a new totalled 76 1/2 ton and dropped it right in. The other thing I remember is that the car chunk had a cast in "awning" for the center mounted pinion snubber, just like a mopar, and the truck chunk had none.

I find some part numbers for a 3.150 diameter bearing for ball and roller, as well as the 2.835 smaller ball bearing.

Do you know if the trucks had a larger bearing?

Thanks for your input. I am learning something new, and I gladly stand
to be corrected.
x

Johnsongrass suggests that there is a sealed ball bearing that does not require an inner seal. I have never seen one, have you? Every Ford axle with sealed ball bearings that I have seen has an inner oil seal.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

I think there might be a little confusion. I agree they came from the factory with tapered roller bearings. The sealed bearing replaces the race and bearing all in one piece. It is possible to run the sealed bearing with no inner seal, it was just suggested to me to use an inner seal along with the sealed bearing. I suppose if you used a "sealer" on the sealed bearing, it would not leak.

There are so many aftermarket parts for the 9" rear end, who knows what all is out there.

I have only ever dealt with the small ends and Torino style ends (this is what is called the "new" style big bearing). There is a chart listed in one of the other 9" threads, that is the same chart I have.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

Australian Falcons with a disc 9 inch came with a sealed DOUBLE ROW ballrace and an inner seal, I still have one in the shed. I dunno, maybe some of those ugly late 70s little Lincolns came with a similar set up.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

All you need.

raytech performance

You can run the inner seal with a sealed bearing without a problem. I never did becuase I would weld the bearing retainer to the the axle to keep the axle from sliding apart. I would also double up the left side retainer. Then there wasn't enough room for a seal.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:10 AM

Last photo:

Axles never broke at the weld? I've seen a few that did, not just stick but tig as well.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.