Ford 9 narrowing (brake rotor size) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 09:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 9 narrowing (brake rotor size)

I bought a ford 9in rear end to narrow for an s10 project I'm working on. The rear end has disc brakes but the Axel bolt pattern isn't correct for the weeks draglite wheels I have. Are all rotors the same thickness and offset? I was going to measure rotor-to-rotor on the surface that mates with the wheel, for a starting point to narrowing the housing but I'm afraid the new rotors I get will be a different thickness or something. Are they all the same thickness? If not how can I get around this? I can't buy axles and new rotors yet because I dont know the axle length once the housing is shortened.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

9 3/8 ?

Is it a 9 3/8 out of a lincoln or big Merc? they had a 5 on 5 wheel patern.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

I will have to measure but I am planning on swapping for new axles anyway. Just needed these to measure the width
Old 12-02-2013, 12:40 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

The Lincoln Mark 5 rear ends had 11 inch rotors and 5 on 5 pattern. The Lincoln Versails (probably spelled wrong) had 10 inch rotors and 5 on 4 1/2 pattern. Which rear end do you have? Most of the rotors that I have seen were around 1/4 inch thick where they mate with the axle flange.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
Crosley (12-02-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies guys. I will measure this afternoon and get back to you. I took the axels out last night and they are 28 spline. One side had a normal bearing and one has a conical bearing, I beleive this came out of a circle track car or something.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

Those bearings are interchangable. You just have to be sure that you use the correct seal with the bearing that is used. That rear end would have had the tapered roller bearings originally.
Crosley (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

That is good to know. I have a lot to learn about this rear end...Do you know where I might find the basics about it such as years, identification, splines, bearing and axle size, etc? Or am I best off just searching the threads for this info?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

Most car axles are 28 spline. The late '60 and early '70s full size Mercury and Lincoln cars got 31 spline axles and the special high performance Mustang, Cougar and Fairlane cars got 31 spline axles. Many of the trucks had 31 spline axles, but they also have the 5 on 5 bolt pattern.

The drag pack cars got the nodular case with the 3 1/16 inch bearings. Some of the trucks also got this case, but there was another nodular case that was used in trucks that had 2 7/8 inch bearings. This one isn't as strong because it has gray iron caps instead of the nodular iron caps that are used on the other case. Most nodular cases also got the Daytona pinion housing, but I have seen them with a standard pinion housing. The WAR and WAB cases are the weakest of all, even though from the front they look very much like the nodular case. These cases should not be used for anything more than a stock daily driver.

The smaller car housings used small axle bearings. The full size cars and trucks had the large axle bearings. These could be either the sealed ball bearings or the tapered roller bearings.

The '57 to '64 housings were smaller and better looking, but not very strong. The axle tubes are but welded to the center. The housings with the longer tapered center are much stronger, but not very good looking. These are also harder to mount ladder bar or 4 link brackets. The car housings with the long tapered center usually have axle tubes that are mashed flat on top. The truck housings have thicker axle tubes and are usually the best choice for a high performance car.

The Ford Traction Lock is not a very strong differential, even though it has 4 pinion gears. The left side cover of the case is the weak part and it will crack and break off if stressed too much. I've seen many of these that were broke. There are after market versions of this differential that are much stronger. The Truetrac and Detroit Locker are also strong differentials for the 9 inch.
Crosley (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,245 Posts
I have a Lincoln Versailles rear end out and sitting on a concrete pad. If I can take a measurement or a picture that will help, let me know.

John

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.