Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford 9" Questions...
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
So are you saying that the ring gear is not pulled all the way down on the flange? The 2 halves of the differential case are made to be a press fit, so that is not a problem. Did these 2 parts fot together completely?

IF yo decide to look into a locker take a look at the Grizley locker from Randy's Ring & Pinion. They claim to have fixed some of the problems that the Detroit Lockers had. Let me warn you in advance that they may have drilled the holes for the ring gear bolts too large. For some crazy reason they said that they drill them for 1/2 inch bolts instead of the 7/16 bolts that they should be drilled for. This caused me some problems with a Yukon Dura Grip.
The recess in the billet half was 0.200" while the factory half stands 0.260" tall. This leaves about a 0.060" gap between the ring gear and the outer edge of the billet (clutch) half with the gear pulled on all the way. I can check this with a feeler gauge and it varies some 0.015" around the perimeter. I may have warped one or both halves pulling them together with the old ring gear bolts and some nuts. It was really hard going and may take some brute force to get them apart again.

You say the case halves are a press fit, is that necessary? If I can get this thing apart, I was gonna pull the carrier bearings, chuck it in my lathe and turn the spider gear half a few thou to make the fit a bit easier. And of course, check the individual parts for runout...

I have an ex-NASCAR locker in my Maverick that I got on E-Bay for ~$250. My only complaint is the bang when making a RH turn. Left turns and the normal clacking don't bother me, but that blasted bang scares the h%ll out of every time!

Russ