Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford 9" Questions...
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
Torquing the ring gear bolts should have pulled everything together, but you might have shaved off a little bit of metal when you pulled the halves together. This might have got between them and could be holding them apart. When you get ready to disassemble it put it in the press with the gear case facing down. Support it around the edge of the clutch case and stick a bar through the hole in the center through the axle gear and press against the cross shaft. That should seperate them.
Surprise! It all came apart just fine. There was a curl, but it seemed more like it was wedged in the side and not under. I took a tiny skim cut on the OD of the factory half. It's still a press fit but I can do it easily now.

Now the bad news... I gutted both halves and bolted them up empty, stuck it in the housing and put some preload on the bearings. This "new" billet half is 0.003" out of round and has 0.015" runout on the backside. The face where the gear mounts has 0.007" runout. The high spots seem to coincide, so it's prolly a poor machining job and didn't get caught in QC. Have e-mailed QP and am awaiting their response.

Russ