Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford 9" Questions...
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
The springs are all the same. Some people leave 2 springs out if they want it to be a little softer for street use. I don't know of any manual. I shim the clutches in the 9 inch a little looser than I do in a Eaton Posi. If you shim them tight in the 9 inch they will pop and make a lot of noise.
I don't mind the noises, more concerned with breakage. Will this be potential problem if it's tight enough to make noise?

Quote:
I don't set the clutches like that. I put a shim in and assemble the differential without the springs, then stick it on an axle stub in a vice and turn it. If the resistance is too high I use a thinner shim. If it isn't enough then I use a thicker shim. When the resistance is where I want it then I put the springs in and call it good enough. You can't assemble one of these as tight as you do a Eaton Posi. If you get it too tight then it will pop and growl when turning a corner.
Are you measuring or going by feel? I'm not understanding how it wouldn't slip with the springs not there...

Quote:
If that's an accurate pattern then it looks great. That's almost complete tooth contact. I don't think I have ever seen one with that much contact area before. May just be the grease that you used.

The clutches should be tight enough that you can torque the ring gear bolts and not ever feel anything slip. I've had to take these apart and remove shims because they locked up too much.
I found some "recipes" for the compound that I'll try later, I've got to give my shoulder some rest. I don't want this diff loose enough to smoke the clutches. Is there a more "scientific" way of measuring? Perhaps somehow measure the gap between the spring plate and the case without the springs, then adjust it with shims until there's a given clearance for them? Say the spring plate (spring free height) is 0.200", could you then shim it until the plate's compressed height is (maybe) 0.050"? Would that leave enough room for heat expansion without bottoming the springs?

Thanks again!

Russ

Oh, and my breakaway reading is prolly a bit higher than 45# as I was pulling from one of the ring gear bolts and not the center of the axle which would give more mechanical advantage...

Last edited by S10xGN; 05-18-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added info
The Following User Says Thank You to S10xGN For This Useful Post:
Crosley (05-18-2013)