Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford 9" Questions...
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
I'm having memory problems with the thrust washer. I can't remember how it fits. I can relate to the shoulder problem. I'm having shoulder and elbow problems. One in one arm and one in the other.
I got wondering about it and did some measuring. Here it is drawn in orange. The clutch pack, even with no shims, is tall enough that the washer doesn't feel any load. With normal shimming, it should be around .060" loose. Theoretically, until the clutches go away...

I got this e-mail from QP tonight:

Quote:
Russ-
The new aggressive units come with 250 ft/lbs of breakaway on the clutches and the new smooth units come with around 150-175 ft/lbs of breakaway on the clutches. We test it by putting a splined section into each side of the unit and torqing one side until it slips.
Looks like I'm still ways off on how to do this. After watching Tom's vids, I can see what would happen if a unit is overshimmed. I have no idea how QP is getting their units to 250# without overshimming them. Guess I should have just bought another NASCAR locker off E-Bay and not had to go through all this...

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 000.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	74164