Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   Ford 9" Questions... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ford-9-questions-231558.html)

S10xGN 04-06-2013 05:19 PM

Ford 9" Questions...
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I have a Ford 9" 4-pinion traction-lok unit that I pulled apart today. This unit was advertised as "ready to run", but while disassembling it was found to have all bolts just above finger tight. Everything inside looks good (even the clutches) except for two things. The sheetmetal spring coverplate is broken, and the outer shell of the case has a few places where the clutch tab retainer slots are machined too close to the ring gear bolt holes and you can see daylight through these spots. Is this normal? I've heard Currie makes a billet cover plate, but haven't seen it available separately and don't know if it'll even "bolt on" without additional machine work. Does anyone know for sure or have a part number?

Thanks!

Russ

big gear head 04-06-2013 05:26 PM

I haven't seen that cover available by it's self for many years. What you have right now is a time bomb. Those covers are very well known for busting and tearing up everything inside the chunk.

S10xGN 04-07-2013 10:31 AM

After further investigation (and a bit of luck) I found some on E-Bay from QuickPerformance. Could not find it on their web pages though... E-mailed them and was told it will fit a factory trac-lok with no additional machining!

Russ

big gear head 04-07-2013 04:50 PM

Be sure to get some clutch shims because you might need to reshim the clutch if the new cover is deeper.

S10xGN 04-08-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big gear head (Post 1663979)
Be sure to get some clutch shims because you might need to reshim the clutch if the new cover is deeper.

I'll prolly try and set this one up myself, first timer. Is there a difference on those 4 little springs or are they all the same (tension wise)? What am I looking for as far as shimming the clutch pack? Do you know of a downloadable assembly manual?

Thanks!

Russ

big gear head 04-08-2013 08:59 AM

The springs are all the same. Some people leave 2 springs out if they want it to be a little softer for street use. I don't know of any manual. I shim the clutches in the 9 inch a little looser than I do in a Eaton Posi. If you shim them tight in the 9 inch they will pop and make a lot of noise.

S10xGN 04-08-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big gear head (Post 1664178)
The springs are all the same. Some people leave 2 springs out if they want it to be a little softer for street use. I don't know of any manual. I shim the clutches in the 9 inch a little looser than I do in a Eaton Posi. If you shim them tight in the 9 inch they will pop and make a lot of noise.

Come to think of it, there was a shim (I guess) as it didn't have either facing material or ears. That little sheetmetal cover was busted in half, would that have been caused by it being shimmed too tight? I'm used to (well, not really) a true locker with the click, pop, and bang when going around corners...

Russ

big gear head 04-08-2013 09:08 AM

No, it was broke due to abuse or because it was weak.

S10xGN 04-09-2013 08:05 AM

Alrighty, parts are on order. They did have a clutch shim kit, so I got that too. I found a great tutorial on 7173mustangs.com which I plan on using. Would appreciate it if ya'll would look them over and see if there's any bogus info that will steer me wrong:

How to Rebuild a Ford 9 inch.
How to Rebuild a Ford 9 inch. Part 2

Thanks!

Russ

big gear head 04-09-2013 09:54 AM

Doesn't look too bad to me. I could pick at it a little, but nothing that really makes a difference.

S10xGN 04-10-2013 09:27 AM

Alrighty, I'll keep ya'll posted and will prolly be asking further questions as things progress...

Russ

S10xGN 04-15-2013 09:21 AM

Alrighty, carrier bearings: How far are they supposed to press on? Is there a spec or anything? The reason I ask is that there is a rather large fillet on the new billet posi case half that doesn't (seem to) allow the bearing to press flush against the case. I can hold it up to a light source and see maybe 0.030" of daylight where it won't set completely flush. The axle end of the bearing is within 0.010" of being flush. I'm afraid that once together and set up, the "forces within" while under load, will change as the bearings seat further...

Russ

cobalt327 04-15-2013 10:33 AM

I think you're right to be concerned, but BGH will clear this up for you I'm sure. In the meantime all I can offer is on the ones I've seen the bearing ID had an adequate radius to accommodate the fillet on the carrier. If I was up against this and had no one to ask I'd relieve the inner bearing race ID enough to clear unless a different bearing would clear.

I have had pinion shims w/ID too small to sit flush w/o being opened up to clear the fillet... but that's a different deal obviously.

Good luck.

big gear head 04-15-2013 11:04 AM

The bearing must sit complete against the flat surface on the case. If it doesn't then you will have probblems later. Use a .001 feeler gauge to see if it is seated all the way.

S10xGN 04-15-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1666685)
I think you're right to be concerned, but BGH will clear this up for you I'm sure. In the meantime all I can offer is on the ones I've seen the bearing ID had an adequate radius to accommodate the fillet on the carrier. If I was up against this and had no one to ask I'd relieve the inner bearing race ID enough to clear unless a different bearing would clear.

I have had pinion shims w/ID too small to sit flush w/o being opened up to clear the fillet... but that's a different deal obviously.

Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by big gear head (Post 1666707)
The bearing must sit complete against the flat surface on the case. If it doesn't then you will have probblems later. Use a .001 feeler gauge to see if it is seated all the way.

I found a "tip" on Youtube concerning using an old inner race to press the carrier bearings, and bingo! :thumbup: Worked like a charm, now fully seated.

Thanks!

Russ


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.