Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford 9" rear end gear oil recommendations

45K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
i just got my rear end narrowed for my street rod project. i am putting it all back together. can someone tell me how much oil it holds and what is the best fluid to use? can i use synthetic? also what weight do i want to use? it is a 1971 stock 3:08 posi set-up...thanks for the help :) ....ed

#3 ·
I have a fab 9 inch in my car i had built. I put in a posi additive and run 85- 140 gear oil. non synthetic . Put enough in till it starts to come out of the filler cap or the pigs ear, im not sure where your cap or pigs ear is located. And im not sure why the place that built it says to use non-synthetic??? I could only think it was for break in procedure. But i will find that out soon if you dont get another reason as to why this is . i think it took 3 quarts if i remember right. Napa oil and additive. I filled mine up to the pigs ear , that being lower than the filler cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.