FORD 9" Ring & Pinion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Last journal entry: Project garage complete!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

FORD 9" Ring & Pinion

I just removed my center section from the housing and in the inspection I am finding some rust on 3 or 4 of the ring gear teeth.

Can I clean this up with ???? and pack it with Molly grease and run it slow up on stands for a while?

Is there anything else I can do to save this gear set, or am I looking at alternative?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel
I just removed my center section from the housing and in the inspection I am finding some rust on 3 or 4 of the ring gear teeth.

Can I clean this up with ???? and pack it with Molly grease and run it slow up on stands for a while?

Is there anything else I can do to save this gear set, or am I looking at alternative?
That rear axle must have set for a while. I have seen this a lot where the axle sets and the oil settles in the bottom and runs off of the teeth that are above the oil level line. Moisture then causes the uncovered teeth to rust. Unless you're running some serious horsepower I wouldn't worry about it. I would however worry about the bearings for if there is rust on the teeth then there is more than most likely rust on the bearings. If so replace the bearings assemble the rear axle run it for a month or so and change the fluid. You could spend a little time removing the rust that is on the teeth with a wire wheel but don't get carried away with it. The rust that is on the gears will remove itself when ran.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:19 PM
More for Less Racer

If that is all the rust there is, cover things up so you don't blow junk into the spider gears or bearings and clean the teeth off with a wire wheel. If you just run it the gears will knock the rust off after a bit, but iron oxide (rust) is as gritty as sandpaper, you don't want it dispersed in the oil to the bearings.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

just wire brush it, wash it out with some brake kleen, put some grease on the gears and install it. Use some average oil and drain it after 500/1000 miles and put in some good oil.
Don't worry, be happy
Old 06-02-2010, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

If steel wool will clean it with no pitting, you're good. If the rust is caked on and leaves pits it may make noise. No harm in cleaning it up and trying it out as if it works, you're good. If not, what have you lost? Time?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

I agree with KMatch, clean it up with steel wool, a wire brush or anything and then give it a try. If the gears have rust on them then there is a chance that some of the bearings might also have rust on them. I've seen this a lot.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp
That rear axle must have set for a while. I have seen this a lot where the axle sets and the oil settles in the bottom and runs off of the teeth that are above the oil level line. Moisture then causes the uncovered teeth to rust. Unless you're running some serious horsepower I wouldn't worry about it. I would however worry about the bearings for if there is rust on the teeth then there is more than most likely rust on the bearings. If so replace the bearings assemble the rear axle run it for a month or so and change the fluid. You could spend a little time removing the rust that is on the teeth with a wire wheel but don't get carried away with it. The rust that is on the gears will remove itself when ran.

Well that sounds like just what I will do!!!!!

Thanks

Like was said the only thing I have invested is a little time and a gasket and some 90W
Old 06-05-2010, 12:32 AM

Last photo:

Well that is complete, but before I install the rear end I checked the back lash and it had .032 .
The last one I set up was a 62 Chevy and if I remember it was to have between .006 and .009 of backlash, is the Ford the same?
Old 06-05-2010, 12:45 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel
Well that is complete, but before I install the rear end I checked the back lash and it had .032 .
The last one I set up was a 62 Chevy and if I remember it was to have between .006 and .009 of backlash, is the Ford the same?
You'd like to see the backlash between 0.008"- 0.012". More is often seen on used diffs, but 0.032" is excessive, regardless.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:48 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

The pinion might be moving slightly when you are checking the backlash. Be sure that the pinion can not move at all when doing this. Even if the pinion only moves a few thousandths this will throw off the backlash reading by quite a bit. You need to have .008 to .012 backlash.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the information!

I set it at .008 rechecked it twice and put some Mystic grease on the ring gear and installed it.

When I get the driveshaft installed I will run it on jack stands for 15-20 min, with fresh 90W and listen to it.

I won't be able to tell until I get a load on it but that is all I have invested so far
Old 06-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

I've run plenty of rusty gears with no problem and some ended up having pits. So long at they still have plenty of base metal they will be fine and if pitted....the pits will only hold oil. Ran one set that looked so bad that I had my doubts but even those ran quiet and for a long time in a street car.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.