Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford 9" w/ rear disc brakes

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  WoodsEdge 
#1 · (Edited)
Help!! 48 Chev w/ Ford 9", brake problem

My buddy has installed a 9" ford rear end out of a 79 Lincoln Versailles. He doesn't want to use the calipers that was stock because of the park brake in the caliper. Does anyone know of a caliper that could be bolted in it's place without the park brake mech. I forgot to tell you it's in a 48 Chev. Thanks Jesse

#2 ·
Doesn't he think he might need a parking break?
There are many brakcet replacement kits out that will let you bolt on almost anything.

A line lock is a poor replacement and not leagle in many places.

By the way I'll buy the whole rear break set up off him if he wants. Brackets,mounts, calipers, levers and all.

#3 ·
I don't understand this either. The VERSAILLE axle asm. is desirable because of everything being self contained. The caliper mounting brackets are unique in that they attach to the actual wheel bearing retainers instead of the axle tube ends. To modify this asm. would be expensive to accept any other type of caliper.

What type of parking brake does he want?

#4 ·
Ok, here is what is going on. The way he mounted the caliprers on the axel for clearence purposes was to roll the calipers around to the front side of the axel and the put the left on the right and left on right. This leaves the pull for the parking brake pulling from the back instead of the front. As low as the car is, its the only way he could do it without the calipers hitting the frame. He will probaly use a drive shaft set up for parking. The problem now is that when pressure is applied to the piston the parking brake rotates out and the piston doesn't apply the pads. He has looked around but can't find a caliper that will fit. I hope this makes sense. Your help and comments are appreciated. Jesse

#5 ·
...sheesh...

He is going to have to abandon the VERSAILLE rear (the cost of converting it is prohibitive plus wasteful) and decide exactly what type of disc assembly is going to work on the car. It might be FORD...Might be GM. Then he is going to have to choose the rear asm. that goes with the brake asm. and mount that.

If he wants to retain FORD components, he is going to have to decide which system will work (MARK VII-EXPLORER-CROWN) and maybe have the tubes and ends modified to fit his chassis.

I wrote a complete thread here on FORD rear disc conversion. Use the search feature to see if you can find it. It will show the popular systems in use.

#7 ·
WoodsEdge said:
Does any one know of a source for emer. brake cables for a Versaille rear end?? Those brakes will not work correctly with out the emer. brake hooked up. Mine were cut when the rear was removed.

Jack
Usually, the VERSAILLES cables ends are used and spliced (with connectors) to the host cars system. The little balls are crimped onto the cable with a special tool.

-Blowup of VERSAILLE Parking Brake System-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.