Ford 9" What's So Special About it - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 9" What's So Special About it

Hi

I'm new at the rear end stuff. I keep hearing about these Ford 9" rear ends. I know they've been around forever and all you guys know about them already, but I don't. Educate me.

what is so special about them that makes them the preferred street car, or drag car rear end?

I"ve got a 72 nova with a 10-bolt 8.5" and some people tell me to keep that and strengthen it by welding and getting new axles. Others are telling me to get rid of it and replace it with a Ford 9".

Your thoughts Please.

Lee

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

First thing is that the Ford 9' is strong and holds up well to high HP apps..the other thing is that the way the Ford 9" is designed all one needs to do is pull the axles and slide out the punkin which can be done very quickly with practice..This allows gear changes to be made quickly in the field so the Ford 9' can be called the poor mans quick change..compared to what one needs to do to change gearing in some other rear ends it is easy in the Ford..

When racing fellows will have a couple of extra third members or punkins as some of us call them so if we need to change the rear gears for a certain track condition we can do it quickly in the pits.

Also the way the Ford is designed it is relatively simple to narrow and make a custom width axle if needed..so that is another reason to use it..

There are also a lot of custom housing and such as well as a great number of gear ratios available..

Those are the kinds of things which has made the Ford 9" the rear end of choice for performance apps..

Now if you have something else in your car and it is giving a good service there is really no need to change it out..JMHO..

Sam
Old 08-31-2006, 07:30 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
First thing is that the Ford 9' is strong and holds up well to high HP apps..the other thing is that the way the Ford 9" is designed all one needs to do is pull the axles and slide out the punkin which can be done very quickly with practice..This allows gear changes to be made quickly in the field so the Ford 9' can be called the poor mans quick change..compared to what one needs to do to change gearing in some other rear ends it is easy in the Ford..

When racing fellows will have a couple of extra third members or punkins as some of us call them so if we need to change the rear gears for a certain track condition we can do it quickly in the pits.

Also the way the Ford is designed it is relatively simple to narrow and make a custom width axle if needed..so that is another reason to use it..

There are also a lot of custom housing and such as well as a great number of gear ratios available..

Those are the kinds of things which has made the Ford 9" the rear end of choice for performance apps..

Now if you have something else in your car and it is giving a good service there is really no need to change it out..JMHO..

Sam
thanks bud. Good Information.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:39 AM

Last photo:

Ford 9" Whats So Special About it

The 8.5 inch you have is one of GM's better rears,not quite as strong as the 12 bolt but close.My buddy ran one in his big block powered Trans Am with no problem.No need to replace it with a Ford 9 inch.There are lots of aftermarket parts available,just depends on your budget.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:58 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Hiltz
The 8.5 inch you have is one of GM's better rears,not quite as strong as the 12 bolt but close.My buddy ran one in his big block powered Trans Am with no problem.No need to replace it with a Ford 9 inch.There are lots of aftermarket parts available,just depends on your budget.
I know what you're saying. about half the people I talk to say the same thing. Looks like I will probably end up keeping the housing, having it welded and straightened (that's what a rebuild shop told me to do) and put a new ring/pinion in there and a rebuild kit. I will also change the axles too to a 30 or 31 spline - not sure yet.

then I am faced with the leaf springs...what to do with them......

and either ladder bars or CalTrac bars..............??
Old 09-01-2006, 06:13 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Primer
Last photo:

I would say if you are going to run it on the street with a reasonable engine, stick with what you got. If you are going to race it, or have plans to tub, backhalf, and stuff with steam rollers, go with the 9". Sam pointed out the advantages. One reason the 9" is so strong is the inner pinion support bearing. Other rear end use two bearings, one behind the pinion gear and one at the end of the pinion shaft where the driveshaft connects. This has the pinion gear cantilevered so most of the bending moment occurs at the pinion bearing. Grab a ruler with your left hand and pull down on the end with your right. That is a normal rear end. The 9" has pinion bearing on the other side of the pinion gear. Grab the ruler in your left hand and place the other end on the edge of a table. Now pull down with your right. It's a good design.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:37 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Lee, you really don't want to put ladder bars on a street car. There is so much inherent binding with this style rear suspension it just isn't a good choice for a street car that has to go around corners and negotiate pot holes. Here is a good read from Alston...
http://www.cachassisworks.com/TechTi...ip-001_WEB.pdf
Do some searches here on "ladder bars". You will find a lot of discussion on the subject and you can make your own informed decision.
This is just my opinion of course but I think the CalTracs will do the job without a bunch of tear-up. The leaf springs are an excellent rear suspension and, combined with a set of tuned CalTracs, you will be surprised how well the leafs will work.
Mark
Old 09-01-2006, 06:53 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer
Lee, you really don't want to put ladder bars on a street car. There is so much inherent binding with this style rear suspension it just isn't a good choice for a street car that has to go around corners and negotiate pot holes. Here is a good read from Alston...
http://www.cachassisworks.com/TechTi...ip-001_WEB.pdf
Do some searches here on "ladder bars". You will find a lot of discussion on the subject and you can make your own informed decision.
This is just my opinion of course but I think the CalTracs will do the job without a bunch of tear-up. The leaf springs are an excellent rear suspension and, combined with a set of tuned CalTracs, you will be surprised how well the leafs will work.
Mark
ok buddy, I'm on it. Thanks.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.