Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford Aluminum 8.8 rebuild

884 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  big gear head 
#1 ·
So I have been reading about everyone changing the gears in their aluminum 8.8 but wonder who has the special spreader tool? The tool is like 400 bucks to buy it and I wonder if it could be rented out? If anyone knows of a person or place that would rent it out, that would be great.

I have purchased this rear end repair DVD from this guy that makes the videos. An extremely knowledgeable Ford drivetrain mechanic that wanted to teach people his craft. Super easy but the thing is the specialized tools for some of the tasks. He goes through explanation of making tools yourself to accomplish some tasks but the only one I cant make is the spreader.

Can you use this video? PM for more info...

Thanks!
Bryan

#2 ·
I didn't use a spreader tool. I carefully tapped the shims in the same way I do for most rear end rebuilds. I was extra carefull with the aluminum case so that I didn't shave off any metal when I tapped the shims in. I tried to make my spreader work on the 8.8, but I couldn't get it to fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.