Hot Rod Forum banner

FORD AOD behind a Chevy 454?

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
ok need some help. a while ago i vageuly remember watching crank and chrome/two guys garage when they stuck a ford AOD trans behind a 454 in their elcamino project. anyone know why they did this? also what adapter did they use? thanks, JD

#2 ·
jvsapp said:
ok need some help. a while ago i vageuly remember watching crank and chrome/two guys garage when they stuck a ford AOD trans behind a 454 in their elcamino project. anyone know why they did this? also what adapter did they use? thanks, JD

Why not go to the Two Guys Garage web site and see if the information is there?

:cool:

#3 ·
I did not see that but I can't see the advantage. I put an AOD behind a 351 Cleveland and it sucked. The engine could never get into the power part of it's power curve. It constantly felt like it was being held back. The AOD SEEMED weak to me too as it was very sensative to pressure adjustment. It worked but other choices would have been better. I don't think it would be good behind a 454.

Larry

#7 ·
Crosley said:
Why not go to the Two Guys Garage web site and see if the information is there?

:cool:
checked already. they only had like a recap of the show, one picture that kind of shows a trans bolted to the 454, but it has a chevy bell so that doesn't look like a ford AOD.

i also read on another forum that it is supposed to handle 700ft/lb, but i am still searching for exact torque capacity of a built trans. to complicate things, we are looking to put some form of an Overdrive trans behind a Caddy 500, that is already making 550ft/lb. there have been people that have tried a 700R4 behind them and the tranny failed. seems like it's only the T400 that can stand up to the torque. but 4.56 gears in a 6000lb truck on the freeway is insane.

#9 ·
jvsapp said:
i also read on another forum that it is supposed to handle 700ft/lb, but i am still searching for exact torque capacity of a built trans. to complicate things, we are looking to put some form of an Overdrive trans behind a Caddy 500, that is already making 550ft/lb. there have been people that have tried a 700R4 behind them and the tranny failed. seems like it's only the T400 that can stand up to the torque. but 4.56 gears in a 6000lb truck on the freeway is insane.
:confused:

I had no idea. I thought the 700R4 was your guys answer from above. Learn something everyday... :thumbup:

#13 ·
You may wind up with an overdrive unit behind of the trans..Seems like a better way to go to me..it is always a problem with big blocks to find a trans that will hold up to them..specially in a truck..That way you can keep the 4.56 and still get a reasonable cruise..We use those in RV's and they work for the fellows with the larger trucks that do a lot of towing such as horse trailers and such..

Sam

#15 ·
There are some others besides gear vendors to consider...

An AOD is a good trans for what it is good for..but in the Fords we use the E4OD for the heavier trucks as it is a C-6 with an added OD unit..the down side of that thing is that it is over 5' long with a transfer case attached and is used in the F-250/350 trucks as well as the 4wd versions..much stronger from the get go..That is what is in my trck and I get 14/15 which is not too bad in a fullsize truck..In the GM apps for the equal money I think you will be much happier with the OD unit..

Now if you juar want the OD and in a transmission swap then take a look at what is being used in the late model GM trucks as those a pretty good if properly driven..although that may require a computer swap so again you may be a lot happier with the OD unit..

Just my take...someone else may not agree..

Sam

#18 ·
it's pretty huge... but with the caddy 500 in there, and the t400, the 6000lb truck with 2000lbs of scrap metal for recycling didn't even break a sweat. like the truck was built for it. but the 4:56 gears on the highway weren't meant to be.

#19 ·
Some alcohol powered type funny cars in drag racing do use a t-400 trans. Very high zoot - expensive parts in them to hold up.

6L80 trans is expensive, I've seen / heard of 3500.00 US dollars. Allison will be expensive too. Then you still need a controller for either trans.

AND for the next question on the 6L80E trans....... yes, it has an internal computer but it still needs data input to operate/ shift / control pressure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.