Ford aod to t-5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 02:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ford aod to t-5

i have a 93 t-bird 5.0 i am on my 3rd aod tranny and it has lost 3rd and od i have beefed up the 5.0 a bit and everyone tells me the aods are junk im considering swapping to a t-5 or c-6 if so what all will be involved in the swap and which one would be better. also have 4.10 gears and posi unit considering putting in

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cferrell84
i have a 93 t-bird 5.0 i am on my 3rd aod tranny and it has lost 3rd and od i have beefed up the 5.0 a bit and everyone tells me the aods are junk im considering swapping to a t-5 or c-6 if so what all will be involved in the swap and which one would be better. also have 4.10 gears and posi unit considering putting in
I have driven both and prefer an automatic. Don't have to worry about replacing clutches. I, too, am tired of my AOD trans. Lost OD a year or two ago. Converting my daily driver into a well built daily driver. This week I'm swapping my AOD for a built C4 and a manual valve body. No clutch and will shift faster than any stick-shift with the gas pedal WOT the whole time. The C4 is alot lighter than those other auto trans and have the least parasitic HP loss, also.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:07 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The C4 does not lock up, so parasitic loss with it will be greater than that with a lock up, like the AOD or a M/T

T birds came with T5's in the 80's behind 4cyls and maby even some of the V8 birds got them... ither way, you need the clutch linkage and pedal from 1, and the trans from a early '90's Mustang, which is a WC T5, everything should bolt up... Sixtyninemercury is right tho, an automatic will be faster at the track, but it is a lot of fun to go through the gears on your own
Old 06-09-2008, 11:10 AM

t-bird tranny swap

if i go with a c-4 is everything gonna bolt right up or are there gonna be any mods needed besides shifter linkage which i have a b and m shifter i have done a lil research on the t-5 swap and the mounting plates should all be already in place for the clutch pedal bracket and master cylinder someone told me that a aerostar van aluminum drive shaft would work cuz mine would be a tad too long but have also heard you dont have to change the drive shaft in a stang if you swap????? im thinkin t-5 for gas mileage as well
Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I don't belive the trans cross member is the same for the AOD, but it might be.. I'v only ever worked on 1 or the other, never compared them, but it will bolt up and everything, your shifter will work..

All mounting plates, brackets ect... will be in place for the T5... your driveshaft issue really is not bad. You could get the driveshaft from a T5 2.3 T Bird Turbo coupe, get the trans X member also, and the shifter/ console ( 4cyl Trans itself would be too weak for the V8 ).. The Mustang is a diffrent wheelbase even tho it is also a fox bodied car so the driveshaft will likely be a little too long
Old 06-09-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
The C4 does not lock up, so parasitic loss with it will be greater than that with a lock up, like the AOD or a M/T
I'm talking about high-performance driving. My old AOD was a non-lock-up trans. A lock-up AOD can't take real power. The AOD weighs alot more than a C4 and uses more HP to turn it's insides compared to a C4. That's what I meant by less parasitic loss. Also, the AOD only locks-up in OD. My new C4 has a manual valve body - so you must shift every upshift and every downshift - just shifts alot faster, at WOT and no clutch.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
if i go with a c-4 is everything gonna bolt right up or are there gonna be any mods needed besides shifter linkage which i have a b and m shifter i have done a lil research on the t-5 swap and the mounting plates should all be already in place for the clutch pedal bracket and master cylinder someone told me that a aerostar van aluminum drive shaft would work cuz mine would be a tad too long but have also heard you dont have to change the drive shaft in a stang if you swap????? im thinkin t-5 for gas mileage as well
The crossmember and driveshaft geometry will be different from trans model to model. And sometimes depending on which torque converter you are using if you go auto could mean a flexplate and starter change, too. Myself on my recent AOD to C4 conversion - I am paying the best trans mechanic in OC, CA to do the vehicle mods, build the trans and custom torque converter and change the crossmember and driveshaft. You get what you pay for - and I don't have the trans knowledge necessary to pick the right combo listed above to make everything work with no problems and also for best performance.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:01 PM

i have done some research and there should only be about an inch or less difference in the x member mounts so i should be able to modify that to work with my stock one and im gonna go with a 2500 stall and i should be able to figure out the flywheel and starter the only other thing would be the speedo cable and finding a tranny cant find a c-4 anywhere only new ones and im not looking to spend that much and i think the t-5 swap is gonna be a little more than im wanting to spend right now
Old 06-10-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
i have done some research and there should only be about an inch or less difference in the x member mounts so i should be able to modify that to work with my stock one and im gonna go with a 2500 stall and i should be able to figure out the flywheel and starter the only other thing would be the speedo cable and finding a tranny cant find a c-4 anywhere only new ones and im not looking to spend that much and i think the t-5 swap is gonna be a little more than im wanting to spend right now
OK - my trans mechanic says that there isn't too much difference in length between my old AOD and my new C4 - he's hoping he can just weld on a offset bracket to make up the difference on the crossmember. So if yours is close same thing for you too. I'm going with a 11" - 2800 converter that requires a different flexplate and starter but is more radical than my old larger diameter 2600 converter and he says more efficient. The whole package - built C4, manual valve body, converter, new driveshaft, and labor which also includes installing a trick B & M ratchet shifter comes to around $3200 - that C4 he is building will support 550HP.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.