Ford AXOD or AX4S Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford AXOD or AX4S Help

I had the SHO on stands this weekend, and I think I've determined where its leaking. There is what the diagrams say is a "Servo Cover Seal" or gasket that breaks causing the transmission fluid to leak directly onto the exhaust pipe. Smoke and stink, with the possibility of fire.

The problem is, you have doe-doe birds at Autozone, Advance, Murray's and so forth. You ask them about a "Servo" anything they blank out.

"We don't list a Servo?"

Surrounded by a$$holes, I tell ya! Well, my question is: Is there any other name that the "Servo Cover Seal" or gasket might be referred to so that lame brains in the parts stores can identify it? To me, if its called "Servo", that's fine.

But this is a common problem with the AXOD/AX4S front wheel drive transaxles. There's been a gazillion recalls and service bulletins regarding the problem, so thiere has to be some kind of after-market replacement.

Please let me know if I can give these auto parts guys a clue. It doesn't look hard at all to replace and fix, either.

Thanks,

Joseph

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Go to Ford and forget the Dodo's, they probably don't stock it anyway. Might be worth looking at it to see if a liquid gasket might be a better substitute, examine it's function first before just squeezing on some goo.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

the auto zone type stores dont stock much for automatic trannys beyond filter kits & fluid.

You need to see Ford or a tranny parts dealer such as TranStar or Natpro.

Tony
Old 05-30-2004, 07:40 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

OK. I'll try Ford.

This is pretty weird because the '94 SHO is supposed to have a AX4N transaxle, which has an "internal" servo. The transaxle in this bull is definitely the AXOD/AX4S which has the external servo. It also has the 17-bolt pan (minus one bolt?). Its the same transaxle that is in the Windstar, I think its still used today. There were also some modifications done to the servo itself which I'm not sure of because Ford had so many problems with the Windstar. Apparently they fased out this transaxle in the SHO and used the AX4N...still use it in the current SHO.

What does the servo do anyhow? Is it something like the accumulator in the Dodge which governs the hydraulic routing channels in the valve body as it shifts?

I believe the difference in the newer servos and the older ones is that the new one has a polymer piston and the older one has a metal piston. Since the servo assembly comes apart when you replace the gasket anyhow, should I upgrade the servo with the ones they used in the Windstar? I mean it is the same transaxle, so it doesn't seem that using the newer assembly would matter. Besides, I think it might be easier to get the right part for a Windstar than trying to convince a parts counter guy, even at Ford, that I don't have the same transaxle that the books say is supposed to be in this SHO.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

Following up with myself...duh. I went to NAPA and they sent me to a great Ford dealership in the Cleveland area. Dig this...the parts counter is open until MIDNIGHT Monday - Thursday AND they are open until 4PM on Saturdays. Now that is unheard of here in Cleveland where they roll up the sidewalks at 9PM.

I crawled under and pulled off the servo cover. Found a couple goodly sized O-rings, and a gasket. I ordered the parts which should be in by the weekend. I also found that the servo cover itself was re-engineered because of major problems with the same kind of leak in Windstars in 96-97, so I went ahead and ordered the new cover. Too bad you get the job done free if you got a Windstar, but the same servo in a Taurus is tough luck Charlie! Oh well, not a major hit at $27 plus change. If it cures the leak, I am way ahead. Will keep you posted if interested.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

All the Yamaha V6 SHO's had the AXOD near as I can tell, the later V8 SHO's had the AX4S and the AX4N tranny's. My 94 has the AXOD.

Have you checked out the SHO Forum? I have had lots of good hands on advice from those folks, next I am going to rebuild my AXOD myself just to say I have rebuilt a trans at least once in my life.

My next purchase is a huge trans cooler!
Old 06-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

Hi 4-jaw...

Yes, I checked their website, but I couldn't find the particular problem. I do visit it from time to time whenever I am looking for information, which up until a week or so back, I wasn't thinking about the SHO. I will have to go along with you on the cooler, except I don't know where I would put a cooler because its pretty packed in there.

The parts guy from Miller Ford, gave me the whole rundown. He said the tranny in my SHO is the AXOD-E which is the same as the AX4S, or he called it the "Electronic version" of the AXOD. He also went over the diagram of both servos, then he went through each of the parts of the servos to see if any had been updated. Everything is still the same in the servos EXCEPT the servo cover which he was able to figure out it was updated. This probably came with the Windstar recall.

He also said that these transmissions did not have a lot of customer complaints and were otherwise pretty sturdy compared to earlier transaxles in earlier Taurus models. Hopefully...

I'm like you too, I've never rebuilt a transmission. I might have that project in that darn Intrepid. Only thing is, I think they made that one too "foolproof". It doesn't give you the chance to run it into the ground...its too busy throwing codes and going "failsafe".

I think I can get the picture here now of what the SHO looks like....I'll take a few more later.

(notice the Intrepid behind the SHO...my other "Hot Rod" LOL!

Last edited by Native Gearhead; 06-01-2004 at 11:12 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.