Ford C-4 Trans Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ford C-4 Trans Question

I just got a 1923 Ford T - Bucket with a Ford 302 in it. It has a 1978 Ford C-4 Trans in it with TCI 1500rpm over stock torque converter. My question is should i hear it shift from one gear to the other while i'm taking it down the road because i don't hear it shift at all. I don't hear it shift going to higher speeds or hear it shift when going from high speeds to lower speeds also. I know little about trans. Please forgive any of my spelling because i had a stroke and i have some hang ups.
Thanks a lot if any body can help me.
Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If that C4 is stock and has a 2000-2200 rpm torque convertor, there will be very little feeling (seat of the pants) in that light car. If you just want to be sure that it's shifting, use a tachometer. My '31 has a C4, TCI Breakaway torque converter and a full TCI street fighter transmission rebuild kit and unless you are 'on it' can barely feel the shifts. This is exactly the same setup that I ran in a 351W powered 'bucket and - the seat of the pants feel was there when needed.

That aluminum cover shown on my C4 transmission is a TCI high performance shift servo -and it does work nicely for better shifts: http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ervoAssemblies

Dave W
Old 11-08-2010, 07:01 PM

Ford C-4 Trans

I have a R.P.M gauge on the dash. If i am right the R.P.M's should drop as the Trans shifts to a higher gear right? Can you tell me what they mean by a 1500 rpm over stock torque converter and what does TCI stand for?
Thanks for your reply!
Chuck
Old 11-09-2010, 05:08 AM

Chuck - the rpms drop as you go higher but don't change much in speed.

TCI is the name of one of the big aftermarket performance transmission companies: http://www.tciauto.com/.

1500 is the rpm over the OEM rpm. Most OEM torque converters are about 1500 so 1500 over would be 3000, which for a mild engine and very light car, too "loose". Without knowing what performance level engine you have, couldn't even venture a guess as to what you should have, but a 2200-2400rpm torque converter would be what I would run in a 'bucket with a mildly to mid performance uprated engine
Old 11-09-2010, 07:34 AM

Ford C-4 Trans

Thank you for your quick reply. I can tell you it is a 1983 Ford 302. Balance rotating assembly with a motor sport flywheel. Engine is bored out .030 with speed pro pistons. Crankshaft mains and rods ground .010 with federal mogel bearing. Melling high volume oil pump. Edelbrock performer intake with a Edelbrock 650 cfm carb. It has a Ford Granada 8" rear with 3:70 Richmond gears. That's all i know about the car. Do you think this Trans is right for the car? Before the stroke i worked as a mechanic in different dealer ships but after the stroke i can't remember a lot in the passed. All the information i gave you on the car was from what the seller had marked down on paper.
Thank you so much for your help ! It's people like you and others that make Hotrodders Bulletin Board so nice to be on for help.
Have A Great Day!
Chuck
Old 11-09-2010, 08:57 AM

Chuck - even a stock C4 will handle 250+ horsepower in a regular weight car and in a T-bucket, probably much more. My car has 300+hp and the modified C4 works fine. In a t-bucket, I probably had a quite few more Hp and a bit less weight and it was just fine. With high end parts, a C4 will handle in excess of 7-800 Hp and is the trans of choice of many drag racers. It's light, small and parts are fairly easy to come by aftermarket.

Dave W
Old 11-09-2010, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

Chuck, sorry to hear about your stroke. I've always ran C4's with all my small block Ford engines including a 351W. The transmission is pretty strong and will do you well with the engine your running. A 3000 stall is a bit high. What that means is that if you step on the gas pedal from a dead stop, the engine will tach up to approx 2500 rpm before the converter will engage. Very similar to the action of a clutch. I always run between the range of 2200- 2500 which works well if you like jumping off the line hard. Another factor with the C4 to remember is it is not an overdrive transmission and only has 3 speeds. Therefore, if your in 3rd gear and your running 3.70 gearing. It may appear like the engine is reving higher or still in 2nd gear. I'm running 3.50 gearing in my truck and I sometimes I have to make sure my floor shifter is actually in "drive." and not in 2nd gear. The lower gearing, the faster your transmission will shift to 3rd gear as well. TCI is very good with transmission parts and I recommend them highly. I'm running their "Saturday Night Special" 10.5" converter which is about 500 RPM over a stock one. If in doubt, stop by a transmission place and they can check out the shift pattern on the transmission. There is modular valve which has a vacuum hose connected going to the intake manifold which also regulates when your shift comes on, sometimes they can be adjusted by removing the vacuum hose and using a screw driver to adjust. Make sure you know what your doing before adjusting the screw though.

Last edited by kleen56; 11-09-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:42 AM

Ford C-4 Trans

I want to thank you guys ( Irelands Child ) & ( Kleens56) for helping me out with my problem . You guys were a big help to me for sure. I hope every day is a great day for you's !
Thanks Again!!!
Chuck

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.