Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford C3 Blowby ??

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Theresa Shank 
#1 ·
We have a Shay ( Fibergalss reproduction of 29 Ford Roadster) that has a 1979-80 Pinto drive train with 2.3 Liter four banger with automatic C3 transmission. I have had problems on highway with blowing out transmission fluid. It will push dip stick up and out of tube about four inches, which leads me to believe that a vent must be plugged?? Do you know where vent is located on this transmission? Or what else could be causing this problem? We have installed an external cooler but condition still seem to be there?? Any suggestion would be appreciated... THERESA

#2 ·
vent

The vent is on the top side of the transmission...

The only 2 things that i know of that cause this problem,,,as you stated blocked vent and also over heating... Do you have a temp gauge in the transmission??

Keith

#4 ·
We did find Pressure Relief Valve. It is located on top on rear tail section. It is like a pop up valve being a small cap retained over a 3/8" small extention. Removed, cleaned out pipe ( wasn't really plugged) but after driving it did not push up dip stick... Maybe just maybe it might have solved problem... Will keep you posted.... THANKS.... THERESA :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.