Ford C4 - Light Duty Truck v Mustang - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2003, 09:33 AM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford C4 - Light Duty Truck v Mustang

I have heard there is a difference between the Ford C4 for light duty trucks and regular cars. If this is so, could I also assume the torque converter might be different? Is there a difference in any other way?

I'd like to follow up with a rear end question. Are there any differences between a Ford 9" mated with a 360/390 C6 and a Ford 9" mated with a 351-C/C4?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 02:06 PM

Cool

The heaviest duty C4 is the one with the pan fill dipstick. The dipstick tube goes into the pan, instead of the case. The case is stronger and the forward clutch has more frictions and steels. This trans takes a 167 tooth flexplate, while the car version takes a 157. Pretty sure the tc wouild be different also.
On the 9" question, the major differences in stock form is if it has 28 or 31 spline axles. If it has the heavy duty housing, it more than likely has 31 spline axles.
What are you going to put in front of this C4 and 9" and what purpose will it see?
Old 07-21-2003, 02:17 PM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:

Its not so much what I am going to put in front of the C4 and 9", its what is already there.

I have a light duty 1/2 ton, but the engine and trans are a 1970 351-C/C4 swap from a mustang. The rear end in the truck is the stock 9" that was mated with a 360-2bbl, I believe it is the 31 spline variety. I was thinking that a light duty truck C4 and TC would serve the purpose better than the Mustang C4 and TC that is there now.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:21 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

There is a difference in the output shafts between the trucks and cars. The teeth for the speedo with a C-4 are part of the output shaft. Generally the number of teeth on a truck is different from a car because of the gear ratio in the rear-end. At times it makes it difficult to get the speedo to read properly if they are exchanged for one of the wrong number of teeth.

The number of clutches in the drums depends on which drum is in the case, and which engine it was supposed to go behind originally. If anyone has even been inside that trans, it could have any number of clutch drums in it, as they are interchangeable.

I have never counted the teeth on a flex plate. There were several different convertors that were used. It depended on which engine was used, being 4-cyl, v6, small in-line 6, large 6(300 CI), and V8. There was also an early versus late versions that was determined by the number of splines on the input shaft.

Hope that helps

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.