Ford C4 shifting delay - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 03:56 AM
'57 Fairlane

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford C4 shifting delay

When I shift it to any forward position, it takes about 5 seconds for the first to shift in. Reverse goes in as it should. Otherwise it shifts fine during driving. What might be the reason for that?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 07:38 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Because it shifts normally in drive, if I understand your post. I'd check the kickdown and modulator valve adjustment. You might first pull the hose from the modulator valve and see if it is leaking into the hose. The modulator is adjusted through the vacuum nipple with a small screw driver and clockwise delays shifting and counter clockwise makes it shift sooner. The kickdown is adjusted at the carb and is responsible for making the tranny downshift when you nail it. They need to both be adjusted correctly for the set-up to work well. You didn't say whether the tranny has had any work, if not some of the inner valves amy be a little gummy or have weak springs. Diagnosis from a distance without complete info is "hit and miss", at the best.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:10 PM
'57 Fairlane

Last photo:

Well, it's not exactly a shifting problem, but I don't know how to call it better. I'll try to explain it once again. Lets say that the car is running, shifter in neutral, no pedals (brake, gas) pushed. if I move the lever to R position, the transmission reacts in less than second, and car starts to move backwards. But if I move lever to D, then for about 5 seconds nothing happens. It sits like still in neutral, and then finally the first gear comes on, car moves forward and everything is fine during driving. Until I need to put the D in from neutral again.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like my old '66 t-bird I had years ago. I'd start it up and have to wait about 5 minutes for it to finally engage. Come to find out the seals inside the trans had hardened badly and did not seal until it warned up some and finally softened up. Only cure for my problem was a rebuild.

Mark
Old 06-25-2007, 01:45 PM

c-4 problem

This is an engagement problem. When you move the selector to drive, the forward clutchs should apply.

When they don't, or the ENGAGEMENT to drive is delayed, there will be a problem in the forward clutch circut.

If the manual valve is lined up correctly [ linkage is correct ] and the transmission is full of fluid, and you have eliminated these things as a possiblity, then you must suspect a problem in the forward clutch circut.

So what does this mean? Well if the c-4 has been around awhile, suspect hard seals in the forward clutch drum, itself. This was always a common problem. And by the way, I cut my proverbial teeth, on this transmission.

Worn clutchs, are not out of the question, either.

The metal sealing rings, on the pump, which seal the pressure, going to the forward drum, could also have "given up the ghost", as well.

So check the easy stuff. If you already have and their ok, well then it may just be that this trans will be needing some major attention. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Common problem on a C4 type trany is the round O-ring in the forward drum to get hard and shrink. Usually these O-rings come out of the drum in pieces of hard rubber.

Check the aluminum piston inner diameter for a groove worn in from the hard O-ring
Old 06-30-2007, 09:24 AM
'57 Fairlane

Last photo:

Some new info: Found out that the trans is leaking oil from converter area. Just dripping when in neutral, and almost trickleing in gear. Haven't had a chance to pull it yet, but I'm trying to get there next week.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.