Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford C4 Transmission shift positions
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 07:32 PM
It is now Saturday, everyday!!

Last journal entry: Project '57 Ranchero
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford C4 Transmission shift positions

This is a ground up project so it is the coming together of typical rodding parts.

The issue is with the Ron Francis neutral safety switch on a Ford C4 transmission. The car has an IDIDIT steering column.

The transmission shift arm is pointing up; The top side. I believe when the arm is pointing to the 11 O'clock position (Looking from the side) the transmission is in "Park." Pulling the arm back through 12 O'clock and towards the rear of the car the transmission is in Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Lo and maybe L2.

I have in stalled a Ron Francis Neutral Safety Switch (NSS)per their drawing. Looking at the switch it is a simple installation. However, when I put an Ohm meter on the switch I could start the motor in L2 and Drive. That is the opposite side of the "Arch."

I'm thinking about flipping the NSS but the casting of the switch does not appear correct. So I'm wondering, is the C4 shift arm supposed to be on the LOWER arc; bottom side? In other words shifting is in the nine O'clock to six O'clock?

thx in advance, R the confused.