Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford dealer tells it like it is.
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc1
I saw one for a Civic that needed a Catalytic converter and all the exhaust it was around 2200 bucks,he told me the cat was only available from the dealer,thats nuts and thats what I feel you get from a lot of these foriegn cars.
We had the damnest thing happen the other day concerning catalytic converters. It was on a Toyota Sequoia that had the cats stolen. Yes, it is getting more and more common around here, they are VERY valuable for recycle so they are easy to sell. Anyway, someone got under the car with a sawsall and cut them out.

OEM Toyota ones were about a grand each (I forget the exact number but I think they were close to a grand) so we went with aftermarket. The O2 sensors were swiped as well, so we had those done. The friggin check engine light would come on after about thirty miles. So, we took a good look at it and found that the muffler shop mounted the O2 sensors in front of the converter where on the Toy cats they were in the middle, or something like that. So we had them move them, check engine light still lights after 30 miles. We put OEM Toyota sensors, still lights after 30 miles.

These cats were brand new replacements that he installs all the time!

End of story? We bought the new OEM Toyota Cats, end of problem.

Brian