Ford distributorless wiring issues n' stuff - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 02:37 PM

Last journal entry: Shock Mount
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford distributorless wiring issues n' stuff

This is gonnaí get a little complicated, so bare with me. Iím planning on installing a Ford EDIS-8 (electronic distributorless ignition system) on a 351 Windsor thatís going in my í68 Cougar. To support the electronics, Iím installing a 93 amp GM 12Si alternator and a new, under-hood fuse box to take a lot of the load off of the old stock fuse box.

The main problem Iím running into is getting power to the coils. Currently, the single coil receives power, during start-up, through the solenoid, then from the ignition switch during running. I need to be able to run two coils instead of just the one and they both need 12 volts (currently, I donít think the single coil is receiving a full 12 volt charge since it should be running through a dropping resistor).

My first idea was to split the positive coil wire and run each end through a normally-open relay and pull the actual current to run the coils from the under-hood fuse box. Iím not sure how reliable this setup would be and I donít think it would work terribly well during start-up (the fuse box would have to draw power through the batteryís charging line).

Iíve never tried to play with the ignition switch, but that looks like what I will have to do. Maybe rout the power from the new fuse box to the ignition switch, then out to the coils, but how do I power them both during start-up? Would the solenoid be able to put out enough power to turn the starter and fire both coils too?

I know this is about as clear as mud. If you need the wiring diagrams that Iíve come up with to make sense of all aí this, let me know.

Oh, and any other advice would be good.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2004, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

Try this website and associated ones for 'MegaJolt'. At some point I want to try this as well with my Ford 302.

http://picasso.org/mjlj/

http://www.megasquirt.info/allQs.htm

The MegaSquirt is for fuel injected engines but there is useful info there...I asked about this stuff here before but nobody seems to know about it.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply. Iíve already been through most of those pages; they really donít go into much detail about how to wire the systems. Iím about ready to just rout the coil power wires through a pair of toggle switches on the dash and be done with it. Trying to rout all of this stuff through the original ignition wiring is worthless anyway. The whole system is 36 years old and underpowered. Iíd probably be more likely to start a fire than get the car to run.

What are you putting the 302 in? You do know that the Ford ExplodersÖ er, um make that Explorers equipped with the 5.0 Lís had EDIS systems on them from the factory. If you donít mind running with the explorer timing cover, accessory brackets, and the 50 oz balancer, everything will bolt on.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:04 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

-Yes, I would like to see the diagram. if you know what is supposed to be hot and when it is then it should be easy.

-I'm not much of a ford guy but wouldn't it take a minimum of 4 coils to run distributorless ignition v8?

====================================
Two coil packs...Tracking like a scud missle Sir!

Quote:
Iíve never tried to play with the ignition switch, but that looks like what I will have to do.
On your ignition switch there should be at least one wire that is Hot during both RUN and Strat posistions. That wire should power both coil packs. Run a fresh wire to them with a splitter like you said earlier.

Or you could do as you said and use a relay powered by the current +coil wire. One coil wire and one relay. the split would need to be after the relay powering both coil packs. Also it should be run from the Battery(not the starter side of the solenoid) with an inline fuse as close to the Battery as possible.

if you need pics let me know

Last edited by NXS; 12-24-2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:49 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

-This discussion- may give you some ideas. If you are not using EEC, it seems you need to find an early installation which runs off an ignition module.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

I actually have three diagrams. The first is the basic charging circuit as well as a partial cranking circuit. Iíve gone ahead and labeled a few of the major parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring diagram 001b.gif
Views:	701
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	3439  
Old 12-24-2004, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

The second shows most of the power circuits that will be routed through the new under-hood fuse box; youíll have to ignore a lot of this stuff. Iíve labeled the wires Iím having trouble routing. As you can see, Iíve run the two coil packs on separate lines through the fuse box; this is in hopes of providing as much power to them as possible. Is this not such a good idea?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wiring diagram 002b.gif
Views:	377
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	3440  
Old 12-24-2004, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

The third is the rest of the EDIS system wiring connections if anyone is interested. It shows the proper spark plug wire path for a Ford 351 Windsor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wiring diagram 003.gif
Views:	491
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	3442  
Old 12-25-2004, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

Kind of hard for me to see each wire, but for what i could see you'll have no problems. I suggested one relay for simplicity, but two could help you limp home in the case of a bad relay.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:15 PM

Last photo:

Sorry, I didnít ralise the diagrams would come out so small. You could probably download them and open them with paint. That would allow you to zoom in for a better look.

Also, would it be easier to rout the coil wires together on a single line instead of separately like I have in the second diagram?
Old 12-25-2004, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

From what I can see it looks like you have them ran together in diagram#2.

I think you'll be fine. Maybe just swap the #7/4 & #6/1 plug wires on the coil packs for looks.
Attached Images
File Type: gif wiring diagram 002b.gif (5.5 KB, 309 views)
Old 12-25-2004, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

Wow, my diagrams must be pretty bad; they should be two separate lines. I guess I should make the wires wider than two pixels a piece, then maybe you could actually see Ďem.

So I should run a single line with a single fuse to feed both coils, right? Should I use a heavier gage wire from the fuse box to where the line splits off to the coils, or should I use the same gage the whole way through.

Wish I could reverse the plug wires, but I canít. They have to be run in that exact order or they wonít fire when theyíre supposed to. Itís gonnaí be a little ugly, but thatís why I decided to separate the coils, that and the shorter plug wires.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

your firing order is:
1 5 4 2
6 3 7 8

You have four coils. Coils 1&6, 5&3, 4&7 and 8&2 fire in pairs. The mounting points you have choosen will allow you to run your wires like this:

Old 12-25-2004, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

Oops, youíre right. I forgot it was a wasted spark setup there for a while.

Funny thing is I had it diagrammed the other way for a while until I picked up a set of coils. Itís got the cylinder number marked on each tower so I went ahead and ďfixedĒ the diagram. I guess Iíll have to fix it again.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:29 PM

Last photo:

Your diagrams look very detailed. I would really like to see your completed project!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.