Ford EDIS 8 Retro Fit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford EDIS 8 Retro Fit

Has anyone had any experience retro fitting a Ford EDIS 8 system on their engine...or for that matter an EDIS 6 or 4? Along with a MPFI, I'd like to control it with a Megasquirt/EDIS 8 fitted to my 291 Hemi. I could also use ANY info on how hefty a Roller Cam I should have cut, to take advantage of this. I figure that if I brought the little Hemi into the 21st Century, that it would be a NICE runner, and be able to hold it's own...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 05:48 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I used the EDIS-8 and Megasquirt on my 4.6 DOHC blower motor. The EDIS connections to the MS were simple and it works great. You'll have to workout your own ignition curve, but you might get some help from the MS forums.

My motor orginally had the EDIS setup, so the trigger wheel and sensor were already there, but you should have no problem mounting them to your motor.

Can't help you with your cam selection though, sorry.

What are you using for an induction system?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

Right now, I have the stock '55 4V dual plane intake. 'Hamilton Intakes' is in the process of producing , among other DeSoto intakes, an aluminum single plane 4V intake and I think I will wait for that. Since I will need to have a new cam build, I was thinking "Roller", to take advantage of the rest of the upgrades (modern cam technology). I don't want to build a Drag engine, but I want the best Street engine I can build...without getting silly about it. I see no reason why the little (cubic inch!) Hemi shouldn't be able to keep up with today's current offerings...if it had the same technology retrofitted.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

What about the throttle body? Going to use a carb?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

You know, somebody said that I could gut a carburetor, but that the flow area needed to be calculated at the venturis not the base plate. Any more info on going that route?...
Old 07-09-2008, 08:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345 desoto
You know, somebody said that I could gut a carburetor, but that the flow area needed to be calculated at the venturis not the base plate. Any more info on going that route?...
Basically, the carburator is simply an air valve, as long as it's big enough for your engine, your good to go. The computer could care less what you use for a throttle body, no flow area calculation required.

The Megasquirt uses a vacuum signal from the intake manifold along with information from a handfull of sensors (intake air temperature, RPM, coolant temperature and throttle position) to calculate the correct amount of fuel to deliver.

Not sure how much research you've done on the MS, but it's not plug and play. Read this manual front to back twice and things will come much clearer, if you haven't already.

http://www.megasquirt.info/
Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

I had originally thought about the Holley 950 Commander MP, but it's the entire "Universal" package in one bite ($$$). The MS appears to be more programable, and I can custom taylor the FI system with what will work best for the Hemi. Yup, I know it's not "plug and play", but if I'm going to program it myself the MS looks like the better set up. As for using an AFB, its not a big deal to fit a TPS to it and gut it. Just need to come up with the largest CFM that will fit...within reason. Believe it or not, the BIGGEST hurdle appears to be how to plug the distributor hole and hold the cam driven oil pump gear down...
Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Other than for appearances, why would you want to use a carb as a throttle body? The venturi and booster venturi would be a flow restriction and are not needed. If anything, you might want to consider hogging out the venturies and pressing in tubes that match the throttle bores. Now it would look like a carb but not have the flow restriction. Of course, you still need to mount a TPS.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Joe,
Appearances...operative word being "gutted". For throttle bodies going for most of a $500 bill, I'd consider doing it. Once the Air Cleaner is on it would probably look fine. If not, I can go the throttle body route and haven't lost anything. HOWEVER...Retrotek sells a REALLY nice throttle body for under $400, which is a much better choice and what I'll most likely go with...

Last edited by 345 desoto; 07-09-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 AM

Last photo:

Decided on a Mustang 5.0 65mm TB...$36!...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.