Ford Engine Choices - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My apologies in advance if I may have missed it ... but what engine / trans was in the car originally?

The 240 (6 cyl) and 289 (V8) mave have had similar mounting systems (engine and frame mounts) and bell-housings, but the FE engines used different mounts, radiators, and bell-housings for sure ... quite possibly even different transmissions and driveshaft lengths.

Radiators had hose connections at opposite sides on the 289 vs the FE.

FE Motor Mount

289 (and 240?) mount

Automatic Transmissions:
It looks like C4 or FMX for the 240/289
and C6 or FMX for the FE engines.

Not that swapping all of the above is not possible ... just that the OP might want to know this going in.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,163 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
I think some of these guys are smokin dope. First, all FE engines are not the same. Second, they will only take a .030 overbore. All of them. Third, they were not a high rpm or performance engine unless modified. 427 engines are expensive. Let me word it differently EXPENSIVE. And they were barely streetable when set up for performance. The FE engine is a very good low rpm torquey cruiser engine. My opinionated opinion? The car is a tank, put in a 352 or a 390 with a MILD cam and a 4-barrel and enjoy it for what it is. A 429-460 can be put in, but again, expensive. Besides that you will add about at least another 200 pounds to the front end with little gains.
95 lbs difference between an FE and a Lima motor. I've owned many FE's in my lifetime and I wouldn't give you a nickel for a trailer load of 'em, except for scrap price.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 PM

Ford Engine Choices

Back again. A Galaxie a uni-body? Are you serious? And a 4-speed? A junker big spline 4-speed will run at least 2K probably more. You will need one from a big car, Torino and Mustang are different. Figure at least another 1K to rebuild it, unless it's broke then it could easily double. And the rest of the setup will have to be pieced together. Figure another 2K or more before you have all the parts. A new shifter alone will cost close to 1K. Use a C6 or even an FMX, you should find one cheap, and get it rebuilt for under 1K. Lots of Ks here, but you get the picture, Fords don't come as cheap, or plentiful as Chevs.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 PM

390 is similar to a 383 chevy specs wise. They 1.7 rocker ratio,when the exhaust side on stock castings are ported they breathe quite well. The power is good.

The 427 side oiler in my friends cobra kit is very drive able.It has a moderate solid lifter cam,couple little 600 holleys,makes (guessing 560 plus) good power in a very light car. Power is from 2,000 rpm up
Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
95 lbs difference between an FE and a Lima motor. I've owned many FE's in my lifetime and I wouldn't give you a nickel for a trailer load of 'em, except for scrap price.
I've had 3 FE engines, too, and can't say that I ver had much luck with them either.

The 352 I had in a 65 Merc would have best utilized at the end of a chain and thrown overboard. It was just a gas-guzzling gutless PIG of a mill.

I had 2 390's ... which weren't TOO bad, considering I drove the ever living out of them, and they weren't built for higher RPM ... pretty much wrung them out in about 20,000 miles. I put an Autolite 4-barrel carb and intake on the 67 Merc and got decent power out of it.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 PM

ANY engine can be made to perform. How much do you want to spend? I think the original question was about fixing up a car without breaking the bank. Put together the total price of a 385 engine conversion with 4-speed, rebuilding the engine and transmission, putting together a stick setup, and don't forget the custom exhaust system too then repost. 90 pounds more? Yeah maybe each head.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,163 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
90 pounds more? Yeah maybe each head.
Ya know troll, that's the same as calling me a liar and I don't like it much. I do my best to post genuine facts on this site. If you have some evidence that there is more than a 95 lb difference between an FE and a Lima, post your evidence. Otherwise, get the hell back under the bridge and shut up.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 AM

Ya know, worm, I don't think I like you too much either. Facts is way different than heresay. You lost me when you said FE engines were junk. More facts? Get real bozo.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Techinspector is correct.
A 390 weighs in at 650 and 460 weighs in at 720 ish. That is under 90 Lbs. Difference.
Techinspector is no Bozo, he knows his specs. Why...well that is because it is what he does.
Now , that being said what is it that you do?
So far All i see is someone who rudely disrupts an otherwise decent conversation, with a new, member about a possible build for a classic ride , complete with actual fact from well known and very reliable sources here.
Not real impressed with your activity here so far.
FE engines are not much more impressive.
Dont get froggy here, I am not amused. Grow up and bring some facts , not smack talk.
Consider yourself served
66GMC (01-03-2013), 69 widetrack (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Only saw 3 428 engines available nationwide. 2 in California and one in Minnesota.
1 427 available in California
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I wouldn't second guess, techinspector1, he is one man on this forum that has consistently given good, valid and concise information. If you have facts that are different junker, show us your sources.

Ray
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM

engine choice

351w stroked to 408 nothin but serious money with the fe's 500 hp/500ft torque with a mild build. dress the top to look the same, dart blocked W stroked to 427, cobra top. plenty of room in the bay. check the # whats original if thats the way you want to go no 352, 360 390 money cant fix those. 460 I always did like those. drop them in early bronco's for mud slingers.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

fes

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Ya know troll, that's the same as calling me a liar and I don't like it much. I do my best to post genuine facts on this site. If you have some evidence that there is more than a 95 lb difference between an FE and a Lima, post your evidence. Otherwise, get the hell back under the bridge and shut up.
i have had many fes,had verry good luck,rebuilt a 406 for a friend,solid lifters 3 2s,quit streatable,and verry fast even tho in a 1963 convert.
have had a 390 in 1967 galaxey,inst a reground cam and it was verry good,had over 100,000 miles with no isues. even a early 360(edsel version) with early 352 heads (machined combustion chambers and solid lifters) it was faster than my pals 348 and my car was 62 merk rag. most of my buds had chevys,most of our weekends wher changing cams and transmitions. so for me not a lot wrong with fes and reserch will give 1 som cheap options to improve them. the 1s to stay away from 360 truck,no compesion poor heads and bad exhaust
Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM

@66GMC - I actually do not have the car yet. However most of the 67 Galaxies I have been looking at either have the 289 or the 390 in them. I would like something a little bigger than the 390. So I was asking what would be a good swap , that isnt too expensive , reliable and not too hard to work on. I know there are a lot of choices , just wanted to see what the best options were. If I have to change the tranny thats ok.

Also I am not worried about fuel economy or it being an original Galaxie engine. There are some good options that Galaxie had that year , but they tend to be on the expensive side , like the 427 for instance. Also , it needs to be carburated. I do not know enough about fuel injection to mess with one. Thank again everyone.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM

stroke the 390 if you want a decent FE.they need better heads thats all.My friends 427 makes very good power.he did spend some money on the heads(actually the engine was expensive because its a ford)and its a side oiler

Tags
427, 428, ford, ford engine, ford motor company

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.